OREMUS: 2 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 1 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, March 2, 2006
Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, Missionary, 672

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:17-40

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,*
 and I shall keep it to the end.
Give me understanding and I shall keep your law;*
 I shall keep it with all my heart.
Make me go in the path of your commandments,*
 for that is my desire.
Incline my heart to your decrees*
 and not to unjust gain.
Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;*
 give me life in your ways.
Fulfil your promise to your servant,*
 which you make to those who fear you.
Turn away the reproach which I dread,*
 because your judgements are good.
Behold, I long for your commandments;*
 in your righteousness preserve my life.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Daniel 9:20-27]:

While I was speaking, and was praying and confessing my
sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my
supplication before the Lord my God on behalf of the holy
mountain of my God  while I was speaking in prayer, the
man Gabriel, whom I had seen before in a vision, came to
me in swift flight at the time of the evening sacrifice.
He came and said to me, 'Daniel, I have now come out to
give you wisdom and understanding. At the beginning of
your supplications a word went out, and I have come to
declare it, for you are greatly beloved. So consider the
word and understand the vision:
'Seventy weeks are decreed for your people and your holy
city: to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin,
and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting
righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to
anoint a most holy place. Know therefore and understand:
from the time that the word went out to restore and
rebuild Jerusalem until the time of an anointed prince,
there shall be seven weeks; and for sixty-two weeks it
shall be built again with streets and moat, but in a
troubled time. After the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one
shall be cut off and shall have nothing, and the troops
of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and
the sanctuary. Its end shall come with a flood, and to
the end there shall be war. Desolations are decreed. He
shall make a strong covenant with many for one week, and
for half of the week he shall make sacrifice and offering
cease; and in their place shall be an abomination that
desolates, until the decreed end is poured out upon the
desolator.'

For another Biblical reading,
2 Peter 3:8-13

HYMN
Words: Percy Dearmer, 1906
Tune: Nun lasst uns Gott dem Herren
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a002.html

A brighter dawn is breaking,
and earth with praise is waking;
for thou, O King most highest,
the power of death defiest;

and thou hast come victorious,
with risen Body glorious,
who now for ever livest,
and life abundant givest.

O free the world from blindness,
and fill the world with kindness,
give sinners resurrection,
bring striving to perfection;

in sickness give us healing,
in doubt thy clear revealing,
that praise to thee be given
in earth as in thy heaven.

We give you praise and thanks, O God, for all gifts of
love we have received from you, and for your persistent
mercy in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     work we have accomplished pleasing to you...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the faithful witness of Christian people...
     the example of righteousness we see in parents and teachers...
     the innocence and openness we see in children...
     all works of Christian compassion...

We give you our cares and concerns, O God, because we
know you are kind and care for your children in every
circumstance. Especially we pray for
     those who struggle with doubt and despair...
            (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people afflicted with disease...
     those called to special ministries...
     people neglected or abused...
     Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and other free churches...
     the Diocese of  Bhopal, India, The Rt Revd Laxman L Maida, Bishop...

Direct us, O Lord, in all our doings
with your most gracious favor,
and further us with your continual help;
that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in you,
we may glorify your holy Name,
and finally, by your mercy, obtain everlasting life;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
from the first fruits of the English nation who turned to Christ,
you called your servant Chad
to be an evangelist and bishop of his own people:
give us grace so to follow his peaceable nature,
      humble spirit and prayerful life,
that we may truly commend to others
the faith which we ourselves profess;
one God, now and for ever.Amen.

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, is perhaps best known for not being Archbishop of
York. He was elected and duly installed, but various persons raised objections,
and rather than cause division in the Church he withdrew in favor of the other
candidate, Wilfrid (see 12 Oct). (The objection was that some of the bishops
who had consecrated him--although not Chad himself--were holdouts who,
even after the Synod of Whitby had supposedly settled the question in 663,
insisted on preserving Celtic customs on the date of celebrating Easter and
similar questions, instead of conforming to the customs of the remainder of
Western Christendom.) He was soon after made Bishop of Lichfield in Mercia.
There he travelled about as he had when Archbishop of York, always on foot
(until the Archbishop of Canterbury gave him a hors and ordered him to ride it,
at least on long journeys), preaching and teaching wherever he went. He served
there for only two and a half years before his death, but he made a deep
impression. In the following decades, many chapels, and many wells, were
constructed in Mercia and named for him. (It was an old custom to dig a well
where one was needed, and to mark it with one's own name or another's, that
thirsty travellers and others might drink and remember the name with
gratitude.) [James Kiefer]