OREMUS: 1 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 30 22:26:03 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, July 1, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

You tyrant, why do you boast of wickedness*
 against the godly all day long?
You plot ruin; your tongue is like a sharpened razor,*
 O worker of deception.
You love evil more than good*
 and lying more than speaking the truth.
You love all words that hurt,*
 O you deceitful tongue.
The righteous shall see and tremble,*
 and they shall laugh, saying,
'This is the one who did not take God for a refuge,*
 but trusted in great wealth and relied upon wickedness.'
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;*
 I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.
I will give you thanks for what you have done*
 and declare the goodness of your name
   in the presence of the godly.

Psalm 53

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'*
 All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
   there is none who does any good.
God looks down from heaven upon us all,*
 to see if there is any who is wise,
   if there is one who seeks after God.
Every one has proved faithless;
   all alike have turned bad;*
 there is none who does good; no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, those evildoers*
 who eat up my people like bread
   and do not call upon God?
See how greatly they tremble,
   such trembling as never was;*
 for God has scattered the bones of the enemy;
   they are put to shame, because God has rejected them.
O that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion!*
 when God restores the fortunes of his people
   Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Jeremiah 11:1-14]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Hear the
words of this covenant, and speak to the people of Judah
and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. You shall say to them,
Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Cursed be anyone
who does not heed the words of this covenant, which I
commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of the
land of Egypt, from the iron-smelter, saying, Listen to
my voice, and do all that I command you. So shall you be
my people, and I will be your God, that I may perform the
oath that I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land
flowing with milk and honey, as at this day. Then I
answered, 'So be it, Lord.'
And the Lord said to me: Proclaim all these words in the
cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: Hear
the words of this covenant and do them. For I solemnly
warned your ancestors when I brought them up out of the
land of Egypt, warning them persistently, even to this
day, saying, Obey my voice. Yet they did not obey or
incline their ear, but everyone walked in the
stubbornness of an evil will. So I brought upon them all
the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do,
but they did not.
And the Lord said to me: Conspiracy exists among the
people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They
have turned back to the iniquities of their ancestors of
old, who refused to heed my words; they have gone after
other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the
house of Judah have broken the covenant that I made with
their ancestors. Therefore, thus says the Lord, assuredly
I am going to bring disaster upon them that they cannot
escape; though they cry out to me, I will not listen to
them. Then the cities of Judah and the inhabitants of
Jerusalem will go and cry out to the gods to whom they
make offerings, but they will never save them in the time
of their trouble. For your gods have become as many as
your towns, O Judah; and as many as the streets of
Jerusalem are the altars to shame that you have set up,
altars to make offerings to Baal.
As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry
or prayer on their behalf, for I will not listen when
they call to me in the time of their trouble.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 13:1-10

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1707
Tune: Beulah, Capel, Mendip
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t439.html

There is a land of pure delight,
where saints immortal reign,
infinite day excludes the night,
and pleasures banish pain.

There everlasting spring abides,
and never-withering flowers:
death, like a narrow sea, divides
this heavenly land from ours.

Sweet fields beyond the swelling flood
stand dressed in living green:
so to the Jews old Canaan stood,
while Jordan rolled between.

But timorous mortals start and shrink
to cross this narrow sea;
and linger, shivering on the brink,
and fear to launch away.

O could we make our doubts remove,
those gloomy thoughts that rise,
and see the Canaan that we love
with unbeclouded eyes!

Could we but climb where Moses stood,
and view the landscape o'er,
not Jordan's stream, nor death's cold flood,
should fright us from the shore.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

God of the oppressed,
we pray for all those who suffer injustice
at the hands of cruel and indifferent rulers,
especially for the innocent victims of war.
Give them strength and patience,
and hasten the day
when the kingdoms of this world
will own the perfect law of love,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: