OREMUS: 30 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 29 23:22:36 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, June 30, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

READING [1 Peter 2:18-25]:

Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all
deference, not only those who are kind and gentle but
also those who are harsh. For it is to your credit if,
being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering
unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing
wrong, where is the credit in that? But if you endure
when you do right and suffer for it, you have God's
approval. For to this you have been called, because
Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so
that you should follow in his steps.
'He committed no sin,
   and no deceit was found in his mouth.'
When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he
suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself
to the one who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in
his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might
live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been
healed. For you were going astray like sheep, but now you
have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Samuel 31:1-13

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1890
Tune: St. Agnes (Langran), Song 4
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o282.html

O Holy Spirit, whom our Master sent
rich with all treasures from the throne above,
we pray thee for thy gift most excellent,
thy greatest, thine unfailing gift of love.

Thy grace abounds; the written word is ours;
and Satan trembles at the might of prayer:
the shield of faith can quell the evil powers,
and hope's bright helmet save us from despair.

These yet abide; but we would covet still
one gift, exalted faith and hope above;
grant us the new commandment to fulfill,
and even as Jesus loved us, so to love.

Grant us to follow his long-suffering path,
joying in truth, yet helping them that fall,
to think no evil, give no place to wrath,
but bear, believe, endure and hope for all.

So when at length we know as we are known,
and all the shadows are for ever past,
he who is Love may see in us his own,
and all in him be perfect love at last.

Great are you, Lord, and greatly to be praised!
There is no end to your greatness.
Let your Spirit shape and make new our character,
encourage us in constant prayer,
direct us in the way of love
and bring us at last to heaven with all your saints in light.

All that is unfinished in us and in the world,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every aspiration, longing and dream
crushed by temptation, sin and dullness of heart,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Holy Church seeking to offer you worship
in every place and culture,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every people and tribe oppressed
by the greed and prejudice of others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

The empty and hungry places in our spirits
and in our relationships with others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: