OREMUS: 26 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 25 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, June 26, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [1 Peter 1:1-12]:

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To the exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia,
Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who have been chosen and
destined by God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit
to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with
his blood:
May grace and peace be yours in abundance.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a
living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable,
undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are
being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this
you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had
to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though
perishable, is tested by fire may be found to result in
praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is
revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him;
and even though you do not see him now, you believe in
him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the
salvation of your souls.
Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of
the grace that was to be yours made careful search and
inquiry, inquiring about the person or time that the
Spirit of Christ within them indicated, when it testified
in advance to the sufferings destined for Christ and the
subsequent glory. It was revealed to them that they were
serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things
that have now been announced to you through those who
brought you good news by the Holy Spirit sent from
heaven things into which angels long to look!

For another Biblical reading,
1 Samuel 19:1-18

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1709
Tune: Song 67
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g022.html

Give me the wings of faith to rise
within the veil, and see
the saints above, how great their joys,
how bright their glories be.

Once they were mourning here below,
and wet their couch with tears:
they wrestled hard, as we do now,
with sins, and doubts, and fears.

I ask them whence their victory came:
they, with united breath,
ascribe their conquest to the Lamb,
their triumph to his death.

They marked the footsteps that he trod,
his zeal inspired their breast;
and following their incarnate God,
possess the promised rest.

Our glorious Leader claims our praise
for his own pattern given;
while the long cloud of witnesses
show the same path to heaven.

All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_,

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used
by permission.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: