OREMUS: 25 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 24 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, June 25, 2006
The Third Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Samuel 17:57-18:5,10-16]:

On David's return from killing the Philistine, Abner took
him and brought him before Saul, with the head of the
Philistine in his hand. Saul said to him, 'Whose son are
you, young man?' And David answered, 'I am the son of
your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.'
When David had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of
Jonathan was bound to the soul of David, and Jonathan
loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day and
would not let him return to his father's house. Then
Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him
as his own soul. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe
that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his
armour, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.
David went out and was successful wherever Saul sent him;
as a result, Saul set him over the army. And all the
people, even the servants of Saul, approved.
The next day an evil spirit from God rushed upon Saul,
and he raved within his house, while David was playing
the lyre, as he did day by day. Saul had his spear in his
hand; and Saul threw the spear, for he thought, 'I will
pin David to the wall.' But David eluded him twice.
Saul was afraid of David, because the Lord was with him
but had departed from Saul. So Saul removed him from his
presence, and made him a commander of a thousand; and
David marched out and came in, leading the army. David
had success in all his undertakings; for the Lord was
with him. When Saul saw that he had great success, he
stood in awe of him. But all Israel and Judah loved
David; for it was he who marched out and came in leading
them.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 5:1-10

HYMN
Words: George Rawson (1807-1889)
Tune: Old 22nd
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w106.html

We limit not the truth of God
to our poor reach of mind,
by notions of our day and sect,
crude, partial, and confined.
no, let a new and better hope
within our hearts be stirred:
Refrain:
The Lord hath yet more light and truth
to break forth from his word.

Who dares to bind to one's own sense
the oracles of heaven,
for all the nations, tongues and climes
and all the ages given?
That universe, how much unknown!
The ocean unexplored! Refrain

O Father, Son, and Spirit, send
us increase from above;
enlarge, expand all Christian souls
to comprehend thy love,
and make us to go on, to know
with nobler powers conferred: Refrain

Mighty God of mercy, we thank you for the resurrection
dawn bringing the glory of our risen Lord who makes every
day new. Especially we thank you for
     the beauty of your creation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the new creation in Christ and all gifts of healing and forgiveness...
     the sustaining love of family and friends...
     the fellowship of faith in your church...

Merciful God of might, renew this weary world, heal the
hurts of all your children, and bring about your peace in
Christ Jesus, the living Lord. Especially we pray for
     those who govern nations of the world...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the people in countries ravaged by strife or warfare ...
     all who work for peace and international harmony...
     all who strive to save the earth from destruction...
     the church of Jesus Christ in every land...

O God,
light of the minds that know you,
life of the souls that love you,
strength of the thoughts that seek you:
Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession and the collect are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: