OREMUS: 24 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 23 22:02:55 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, June 24, 2006
The Birth of Saint John the Baptist

Blessed are you, Lord, the God of Israel,
you have come to your people and set them free.
You have raised up for us a mighty Saviour,
born of the house of your servant David.
Through your holy prophets, you promised of old
to save us from our enemies, from the hands of all who hate us,
to show mercy to our ancestors,
and to remember your holy covenant.
This was the oath God swore to our father, Abraham,
to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
free to worship you without fear,

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

Psalm 82

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Luke 1:57-66,80]:

Now the time came for Elizabeth to give birth, and she
bore a son. Her neighbours and relatives heard that the
Lord had shown his great mercy to her, and they rejoiced
with her.
On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and
they were going to name him Zechariah after his father.
But his mother said, 'No; he is to be called John.' They
said to her, 'None of your relatives has this name.' Then
they began motioning to his father to find out what name
he wanted to give him. He asked for a writing-tablet and
wrote, 'His name is John.' And all of them were amazed.
Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue freed,
and he began to speak, praising God. Fear came over all
their neighbours, and all these things were talked about
throughout the entire hill country of Judea. All who
heard them pondered them and said, 'What then will this
child become?' For, indeed, the hand of the Lord was with
him.
The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in
the wilderness until the day he appeared publicly to
Israel.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 40:1-11

HYMN
Words:  Paul the Deacon (730-799);
Trans. C. S. Phillips (1883-1949) (c)
Tune: Lobet den Herren, Ut queant laxis
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s206.html

Sing we the praises of the great forerunner,
tell forth the mighty wonders of his story:
so may his Master cleanse our lips and make them
fit to extol him.

Lo, God's high herald, swift from heaven descending,
gives to thy father tidings of thy coming,
telling thy name and all the tale of marvels
that shall befall thee.

Oft had the prophets in the time before thee
spoken in vision of the Daystar's coming;
but when he came, 'twas thou that didst proclaim him
Savior of all men.

In the power of the Spirit and in union with Christ,
let us pray to the Father, saying
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
who promised Zechariah a son
   filled with with the spirit and power of Elijah,
to prepare a people fit for the Lord
   we pray for reconciliation between all people,
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
when Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting
the baby leapt in her womb
   may we bless among women she who believed your promise,
   and proclaim with joy the good news of your Christ.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
at John's birth Zechariah proclaimed
he would be the prophet of the Most High
   we pray for all who preach the Good News.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
when your Son came to the Jordan and was baptized by John
he saw the heavens open and the Spirit descending as a dove
   may we who are baptized into your Church
   faithfully proclaim in the world the words of your beloved Son.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
John proclaimed your Son as 'the Lamb of God'
and John's disciples followed Jesus
   help us to follow him too,
   and by our words and deeds
  to bring our families and friends closer to you.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
who sent John to witness to the light,
to be the voice of one crying in the wilderness
and to prepare the way of the Lord
   comfort your people
   and bring your healing to the sick and needy,
   to the broken-hearted and the oppressed,
   to prisoners and captives.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Lord God,
John preached the baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins
and suffered imprisonment and death for proclaiming your Law
   we pray with and for all who have died in your service,
   joining our prayers with John the Baptist, and all the saints,
   and grant us with them a share in your eternal kingdom.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

In the tender compassion of our God,
the dawn from on high shall break upon us
Shine, Lord, on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death
and guide our feet into the way of peace.
Merciful Father,
Accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Almighty God,
by whose providence your servant John the Baptist
was wonderfully born,
and sent to prepare the way of your Son our Saviour
by preaching repentance
lead us to repent according to his preaching,
and, after his example,
constantly to speak the truth, boldly to rebuke vice,
and patiently to suffer for the truth's sake;

God of crooked ways made straight,
cause us always to rejoice in the approach of Jesus. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Luke 1:68-75, ELLC
version.

The intercession is by Simon Kershaw.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE
DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order
of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by
permission.

Hymn (c) 1932 Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd.,
St. Mary's Works, St. Mary's Plain, Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England