OREMUS: 20 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 19 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

READING [Ezra 2]:

Now these were the people of the province who came from
those captive exiles whom King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
had carried captive to Babylonia; they returned to
Jerusalem and Judah, all to their own towns. They came
with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiah, Reelaiah,
Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar, Bigvai, Rehum, and Baanah.

The number of the Israelite people: the descendants of
Parosh, two thousand one hundred and seventy-two. Of
Shephatiah, three hundred and seventy-two. Of Arah, seven
hundred and seventy-five. Of Pahath-moab, namely the
descendants of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand eight
hundred and twelve. Of Elam, one thousand two hundred and
fifty-four. Of Zattu, nine hundred and forty-five. Of
Zaccai, seven hundred and sixty. Of Bani, six hundred and
forty-two. Of Bebai, six hundred and twenty-three. Of
Azgad, one thousand two hundred and twenty-two. Of
Adonikam, six hundred and sixty-six. Of Bigvai, two
thousand and fifty-six. Of Adin, four hundred and
fifty-four. Of Ater, namely of Hezekiah, ninety-eight. Of
Bezai, three hundred and twenty-three. Of Jorah, one
hundred and twelve. Of Hashum, two hundred and
twenty-three. Of Gibbar, ninety-five. Of Bethlehem, one
hundred and twenty-three. The people of Netophah,
fifty-six. Of Anathoth, one hundred and twenty-eight. The
descendants of Azmaveth, forty-two. Of Kiriatharim,
Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred and forty-three. Of
Ramah and Geba, six hundred and twenty-one. The people of
Michmas, one hundred and twenty-two. Of Bethel and Ai,
two hundred and twenty-three. The descendants of Nebo,
fifty-two. Of Magbish, one hundred and fifty-six. Of the
other Elam, one thousand two hundred and fifty-four. Of
Harim, three hundred and twenty. Of Lod, Hadid, and Ono,
seven hundred and twenty-five. Of Jericho, three hundred
and forty-five. Of Senaah, three thousand six hundred and
thirty.

The priests: the descendants of Jedaiah, of the house of
Jeshua, nine hundred and seventy-three. Of Immer, one
thousand and fifty-two. Of Pashhur, one thousand two
hundred and forty-seven. Of Harim, one thousand and
seventeen.

The Levites: the descendants of Jeshua and Kadmiel, of
the descendants of Hodaviah, seventy-four. The singers:
the descendants of Asaph, one hundred and twenty-eight.
The descendants of the gatekeepers: of Shallum, of Ater,
of Talmon, of Akkub, of Hatita, and of Shobai, in all one
hundred and thirty-nine.

The temple servants: the descendants of Ziha, Hasupha,
Tabbaoth, Keros, Siaha, Padon, Lebanah, Hagabah, Akkub,
Hagab, Shamlai, Hanan, Giddel, Gahar, Reaiah, Rezin,
Nekoda, Gazzam, Uzza, Paseah, Besai, Asnah, Meunim,
Nephisim, Bakbuk, Hakupha, Harhur, Bazluth, Mehida,
Harsha, Barkos, Sisera, Temah, Neziah, and Hatipha.

The descendants of Solomon's servants: Sotai,
Hassophereth, Peruda, Jaalah, Darkon, Giddel, Shephatiah,
Hattil, Pochereth-hazzebaim, and Ami.

All the temple servants and the descendants of Solomon's
servants were three hundred and ninety-two.

The following were those who came up from Tel-melah,
Tel-harsha, Cherub, Addan, and Immer, though they could
not prove their families or their descent, whether they
belonged to Israel: the descendants of Delaiah, Tobiah,
and Nekoda, six hundred and fifty-two. Also, of the
descendants of the priests: the descendants of Habaiah,
Hakkoz, and Barzillai (who had married one of the
daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite, and was called by
their name). These looked for their entries in the
genealogical records, but they were not found there, and
so they were excluded from the priesthood as unclean; the
governor told them that they were not to partake of the
most holy food, until there should be a priest to consult
Urim and Thummim.

The whole assembly together was forty-two thousand three
hundred and sixty, besides their male and female
servants, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred
and thirty-seven; and they had two hundred male and
female singers. They had seven hundred and thirty-six
horses, two hundred and forty-five mules, four hundred
and thirty-five camels, and six thousand seven hundred
and twenty donkeys.

As soon as they came to the house of the Lord in
Jerusalem, some of the heads of families made
freewill-offerings for the house of God, to erect it on
its site. According to their resources they gave to the
building fund sixty-one thousand darics of gold, five
thousand minas of silver, and one hundred priestly
robes.

The priests, the Levites, and some of the people lived in
Jerusalem and its vicinity; and the singers, the
gatekeepers, and the temple servants lived in their
towns, and all Israel in their towns.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 11:29-36

HYMN
Words: John Armstrong, 1847
Tune: St. Lawrence, Wareham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o665.html

O thou who makest souls to shine
with light from brighter worlds above,
and droppest glistening dew divine
on all who seek a Savior's love;

Do thou thy benediction give
on all who teach, on all who learn,
that all thy Church may holier live,
and every lamp more brightly burn.

Give those that teach pure hearts and wise,
faith, hope, and love, all warmed by prayer;
themselves first training for the skies,
they best will raise their people there.

Give those that learn the willing ear,
the spirit meek, the guileless mind;
such gifts will make the lowliest here
far better than a kingdom find.

O bless the shepherd, bless the sheep,
that guide and guided both be one
one in the faithful watch they keep,
until this hurrying life be done.

If thus, good Lord, thy grace be given,
in thee to live, in thee to die,
before we upward pass to heaven
we taste our immortality.

There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For the Episcopal Church as it gathers in General Convention,
that it may flourish as a part of Christ's one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church,
faithfully fulfilling its mission and exercising its ministry
in the changes and chances of this day and age,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For forgiveness of our failure to commend the faith that is in us
to those both far and near,
that you wll strengthen us to proclaim by word and example
the good news of God in Jesus Christ,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for the courage, compassion, and fearless witness
of lay and clergy leaders who have risen to the trials of our times,
and who have called the chuch to live out its enduring truth
in the midst of changing circumstances,
that our witness may be ever fatihful and ever new,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the coming of your kingdom,
that we may prayerfully continue to strive for justice and peace
as signs of your reign that is already at work among us,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Loving God, our Father,
you gave your Son Jesus
to be knitted and fastened to our souls
by good will and a great desire for him:
Grant us that Spirit
which opens the eyes of our mind
to that spiritual knowledge of you.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The Collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is  based on a passage from The Scale of Perfection by Walter
Hilton, 14th century]