OREMUS: 19 June 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 19 01:02:14 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, June 19, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life. For
these and all your mercies, we praise you:

The Lord said to my lord, ‘Sit at my right hand,*
  until I make your enemies your footstool.’
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
    out of Zion,*
  saying, ‘Rule over your enemies round about you.
‘Princely state has been yours
    from the day of your birth,*
  in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
    like dew from the womb of the morning.’
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
  ‘You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.’

    I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
  in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
  they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
  and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
  the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
  he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
  in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
  all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
  because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
    he commanded his covenant for ever;*
  holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
  those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
    his praise endures for ever.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
  praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Ezra 1]:

In the first year of King Cyrus of Persia, in order that the word of the
Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, the Lord stirred up
the spirit of King Cyrus of Persia so that he sent a herald throughout all
his kingdom, and also in a written edict declared:

'Thus says King Cyrus of Persia: The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me
all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house
at Jerusalem in Judah. Any of those among you who are of his people may
their God be with them! are now permitted to go up to Jerusalem in Judah,
and rebuild the house of the Lord, the God of Israel he is the God who is
in Jerusalem; and let all survivors, in whatever place they reside, be
assisted by the people of their place with silver and gold, with goods and
with animals, besides freewill-offerings for the house of God in Jerusalem.'

The heads of the families of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and the
Levites everyone whose spirit God had stirred got ready to go up and
rebuild the house of the Lord in Jerusalem. All their neighbours aided them
with silver vessels, with gold, with goods, with animals, and with valuable
gifts, besides all that was freely offered. King Cyrus himself brought out
the vessels of the house of the Lord that Nebuchadnezzar had carried away
from Jerusalem and placed in the house of his gods. King Cyrus of Persia
had them released into the charge of Mithredath the treasurer, who counted
them out to Sheshbazzar the prince of Judah. And this was the inventory:
gold basins, thirty; silver basins, one thousand; knives, twenty-nine; gold
bowls, thirty; other silver bowls, four hundred and ten; other vessels, one
thousand; the total of the gold and silver vessels was five thousand four
hundred. All these Sheshbazzar brought up, when the exiles were brought up
from Babylonia to Jerusalem.

For another Biblical reading, Luke 11:27-28

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green ©
Tune: Herongate, Brockham, Illsley

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t089.html

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,
of apostles and prophets:
in every age you have chosen people to work for you,
by showing justice and doing mercy.
Let the Church share Christ's own work
as prophet, priest and king,
reconciling the world to your law and your love,
and telling of your mighty power.

You have called us out of the world, O God,
and chosen us to witness to the nations.
Give us your Spirit to show the way, the truth and the life
of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a chosen people.

You have appointed us as a royal priesthood, O God,
to pray for people everywhere and to declare your mercy.
We pray especially for Katherine,
elected XXVIth Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church,
her family, the people of the Episcopal Church
and the Anglican Communion.
Give us your Spirit that we may be drawn to each other in love.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the household of God.

You have baptized us into one family of faith,
and named us your children,
the sisters and brothers of Jesus.
Give us your Spirit to live in peace
and serve each other gladly.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a temple for your Spirit.

You have built us up, O God,
into a temple for worship.
Give us your Spirit to know that there is no other foundation for us
than Jesus Christ, our Rock and our Redeemer.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are a colony of heaven.

You have joined us in one body, O God,
to live for our Lord in the world.
Give us your Spirit that, working together without envy or pride,
we may serve our Lord and Head.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
We are the Body of Christ.

O God, we are your Church,
called, adopted, built up, blessed and joined to Jesus Christ.
Help us to know who we are
and in all we do to be your servants.
Give thanks to God for the Church.
And trust the Holy Spirit.

Almighty Father,
whose blessed Son before his passion prayed
for his disciples that they might be one,
as you and he are one:
Grant that your Church,
being bound together in love and obedience to you,
may be united in one body by the one Spirit,
that the world may believe in him whom you have sent,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle, the opening thanksgiving and the invitation to the Lord's
Prayer from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright ©
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
prayers in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury
Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn © 1971 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
In US & Canada: Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
Rest of the World: Stainer & Bell Ltd., www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted from Chalice Worship, © Chalice Press, 1997.
Reproduced with permission.