OREMUS: 18 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 17 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, June 18, 2006
The Second Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Samuel 16:14-23]:

Now the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an
evil spirit from the Lord tormented him. And Saul's
servants said to him, 'See now, an evil spirit from God
is tormenting you. Let our lord now command the servants
who attend you to look for someone who is skilful in
playing the lyre; and when the evil spirit from God is
upon you, he will play it, and you will feel better.' So
Saul said to his servants, 'Provide for me someone who
can play well, and bring him to me.' One of the young men
answered, 'I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite
who is skilful in playing, a man of valour, a warrior,
prudent in speech, and a man of good presence; and the
Lord is with him.' So Saul sent messengers to Jesse, and
said, 'Send me your son David who is with the sheep.'
Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread, a skin of wine,
and a kid, and sent them by his son David to Saul. And
David came to Saul, and entered his service. Saul loved
him greatly, and he became his armour-bearer. Saul sent
to Jesse, saying, 'Let David remain in my service, for he
has found favour in my sight.' And whenever the evil
spirit from God came upon Saul, David took the lyre and
played it with his hand, and Saul would be relieved and
feel better, and the evil spirit would depart from him.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 4:13-23

HYMN
Words: F.B.P, sixteenth century manuscript
Tune: Land of Rest
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j008.html

Jerusalem, my happy home,
when shall I come to thee?
When shall my sorrows have an end?
Thy joys when shall I see?

Thy saints are crowned with glory great;
they see God face to face;
they triumph still, they still rejoice
most happy is their case.

There David stands with harp in hand
as master of the choir:
ten thousand times that man were blessed
that might this music hear.

Our Lady sings Magnificat
with tune surpassing sweet,
and all the virgins bear their part,
sitting at her feet.

There Magdalen hath left her moan,
and cheerfully doth sing
with blessŠd saints, whose harmony
in every street doth ring.

Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
God grant that I may see
thine endless joy, and of the same
partaker ever be!

There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For your holy catholic Church,
in all times and in all places,
that it may continually be filled with the grace
of your Son our Savior, Jesus Christ,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Anglican Communion,
that in breadth of spirit and depth of devotion
it may constantly rediscover its character as a church for all people,
and that it may reach out to all peoples everywhere
for the sake of truth and in obedience to the Gospel,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the forgiveness of our sins:
for failure to love you with our whole heart and our neighbors as ourselves,
that you will renew us as one body and one spirit in Christ,
that we may worthily serve the world in his name,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for your blessings:
for the challenges and opportunities you give us
to grow in understanding and cooperaton in your Chuch,
that as many members of one body
we may continually be transformed into the likeness of Christ Jesus,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In hope for the future,
that you will raise up glodly leaders,
grant us a clear vision,
and give us both abiding trust and steadfast hearts for the days to come,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Keep, O Lord, your household the Church
in your steadfast faith and love,
that through your grace
we may proclaim your truth with boldness,
and minister your justice with compassion;
for the sake of our Savior Jesus Christ,

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.