OREMUS: 17 June 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 02:56:11 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, June 17, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

I said, ‘I will keep watch upon my ways,*
  so that I do not offend with my tongue.
‘I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
  while the wicked are in my presence.’
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
  I refrained from rash words;
    but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
    while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
  I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
  so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
    and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
  truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
    and in vain we are in turmoil;*
  we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
  O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
  and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
  for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
  I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
    like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
  truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
  hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
  a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
  before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

 From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Jeremiah 7:1-16]:

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Stand in the gate of the
Lord's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the
Lord, all you people of Judah, you that enter these gates to worship the
Lord. Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend your ways and
your doings, and let me dwell with you in this place. Do not trust in these
deceptive words: 'This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord,
the temple of the Lord.'

For if you truly amend your ways and your doings, if you truly act justly
one with another, if you do not oppress the alien, the orphan, and the
widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after
other gods to your own hurt, then I will dwell with you in this place, in
the land that I gave of old to your ancestors for ever and ever.

Here you are, trusting in deceptive words to no avail. Will you steal,
murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go
after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before me
in this house, which is called by my name, and say, 'We are safe!' only to
go on doing all these abominations? Has this house, which is called by my
name, become a den of robbers in your sight? You know, I too am watching,
says the Lord. Go now to my place that was in Shiloh, where I made my name
dwell at first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people
Israel. And now, because you have done all these things, says the Lord, and
when I spoke to you persistently, you did not listen, and when I called
you, you did not answer, therefore I will do to the house that is called by
my name, in which you trust, and to the place that I gave to you and to
your ancestors, just what I did to Shiloh. And I will cast you out of my
sight, just as I cast out all your kinsfolk, all the offspring of Ephraim.

As for you, do not pray for this people, do not raise a cry or prayer on
their behalf, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you.

For another Biblical reading, Romans 9:14-26

HYMN
Words: Mary Fawler Hooper Maude, 1847
Tune: Newington, German Hymn (Pleyel), Savannah

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t515.html

Thine forever! God of love,
hear us from thy throne above;
thine forever may we be
here and in eternity.

Thine forever! O how blest
they who find in thee their rest!
Savior, Guardian, heavenly Friend,
O defend us to the end.

Thine forever! Lord of life,
shield us through our earthly strife;
thou, the Life, the Truth, the Way,
guide us to the realms of day.

Thine forever! Savior, keep
these thy frail and trembling sheep,
safe alone beneath thy care,
let us all thy goodness share.

Thine forever! Thou our Guide,
all our wants by thee supplied,
all our sins by thee forgiven,
lead us, Lord, from earth to heaven.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For the leaders of the Church in these unsettled times,
that they may be among us as examples:
as leaders who love what is true, honor what is just, and belong to all.
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all the people of the Church,
that our Lord Jesus Christ may live out in us
the full mystery of his death and resurrection,
that we may be stretched and transformed by his love
and find ourselves in him,
as leaders who love what is true, honor what is just, and belong to all.
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For forgiveness of our pride, contentiousness and factionalism,
our stubbornness and party spirit,
our insisting on our own way rather than seeking your purpose,
that you will give us the mind of Christ
and by your Holy Spirit lead us into all truth,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for all those
who in constant faithfulness and quiet confidence
work, pray and give for the spread of your kingdom,
often without recognition or fanfare,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For us, that we will be raised up as instruments of healing and reconciliation
that we may maintain constant love for one another
and be connected to that larger community
where Christ most fully is to be found,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

O God,
you have made of one blood all the peoples of the earth,
and sent your blessed Son to preach peace
to those who are far off and to those who are near:
Grant that people everywhere may seek after you and find you,
bring the nations into your fold, pour out your Spirit upon all flesh,
and hasten the coming of your kingdom;

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle, the opening thanksgiving and the invitation to the Lord's
Prayer from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright ©
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from We
Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces, translated
by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in
Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.