OREMUS: 15 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 14 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, June 15, 2006
Corpus Christi

Most merciful Lord,
your love compels us to come in.
Our hands were unclean,
our hearts were unprepared;
we were not fit even to eat the crumbs from under your table.
But you, Lord, are the God of our salvation,
and share your bread with sinners,
cleansing and feeding us
with the precious Body and Blood of your Son,
that he may live in us and we in him;
and that we, with the whole company of Christ,
may sit and eat in your kingdom.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

Psalm 116:10-end

How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Deuteronomy 8:2-16]:

Remember the long way that the Lord your God has led you
these forty years in the wilderness, in order to humble
you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether
or not you would keep his commandments. He humbled you by
letting you hunger, then by feeding you with manna, with
which neither you nor your ancestors were acquainted, in
order to make you understand that one does not live by
bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth
of the Lord. The clothes on your back did not wear out
and your feet did not swell these forty years. Know then
in your heart that as a parent disciplines a child so the
Lord your God disciplines you. Therefore keep the
commandments of the Lord your God, by walking in his ways
and by fearing him. For the Lord your God is bringing you
into a good land, a land with flowing streams, with
springs and underground waters welling up in valleys and
hills, a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees
and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, a land
where you may eat bread without scarcity, where you will
lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron and from whose
hills you may mine copper. You shall eat your fill and
bless the Lord your God for the good land that he has
given you.
Take care that you do not forget the Lord your God, by
failing to keep his commandments, his ordinances, and his
statutes, which I am commanding you today. When you have
eaten your fill and have built fine houses and live in
them, and when your herds and flocks have multiplied, and
your silver and gold is multiplied, and all that you have
is multiplied, then do not exalt yourself, forgetting the
Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt,
out of the house of slavery, who led you through the
great and terrible wilderness, an arid waste-land with
poisonous snakes and scorpions. He made water flow for
you from flint rock, and fed you in the wilderness with
manna that your ancestors did not know, to humble you and
to test you, and in the end to do you good.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 9:11-17

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: St. Thomas (Wade), Pange lingua
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w544.html

With the body that was broken,
to the body who proclaim,
by the blood that is life's token,
for the life found in his name:
so the Word-made-flesh has spoken,
and his presence here we claim.

In the cross of Christ confiding,
by the cross we bear as sign,
through the Spirit's gifts and guiding,
with these gifts of bread and wine:
so the church in faith abiding
keeps the feast Christ made divine.

Fed by breaking and outpouring,
joined in breaking-forth of praise,
given the peace of God's restoring,
sent in peace to live always:
so we show forth our adoring
as God's servants all our days.

Let us remember with thanksgiving
the gracious gifts of our God,
who feeds us and sustains us in all our days.

You feed your Church
through the continual grace of the sacraments.
Keep us faithful to our calling
to continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship,
in the breaking of bread,
and in the prayers.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

You sustain your Church throughout the world
with the sacrament of your Body and Blood.
Send us out into the world to proclaim
by word and example the Good News of God in Christ.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Your living Word calls us to hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Help us to overcome divisions and prejudice,
that we may strive for justice and peace among all people,
and respect the dignity of every human being.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
you have made a covenant with your people
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who offered his Body and Blood for us:
Grant that we who receive Christ in these holy mysteries
may also reverence him in the needy of the world
and by lives dedicated to the service of that kingdom,
where he lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

May the Father, who fed his children
with bread and honey in the wilderness,
strengthen us in our pilgrimage to the Promised Land. Amen.

prayers in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from two prayers in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. (c)
International Commission on English in the Liturgy, 1997.

Hymn  (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com