OREMUS: 13 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 12 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Antony of Padua, OFM, Missionary, Preacher, 1231

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [1 Samuel 10:17-27]:

Samuel summoned the people to the Lord at Mizpah and said
to them, 'Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, "I
brought up Israel out of Egypt, and I rescued you from
the hand of the Egyptians and from the hand of all the
kingdoms that were oppressing you." But today you have
rejected your God, who saves you from all your calamities
and your distresses; and you have said, "No! but set a
king over us." Now therefore present yourselves before
the Lord by your tribes and by your clans.'
Then Samuel brought all the tribes of Israel near, and
the tribe of Benjamin was taken by lot. He brought the
tribe of Benjamin near by its families, and the family of
the Matrites was taken by lot. Finally he brought the
family of the Matrites near man by man, and Saul the son
of Kish was taken by lot. But when they sought him, he
could not be found. So they inquired again of the Lord,
'Did the man come here?' and the Lord said, 'See, he has
hidden himself among the baggage.' Then they ran and
brought him from there. When he took his stand among the
people, he was head and shoulders taller than any of
them. Samuel said to all the people, 'Do you see the one
whom the Lord has chosen? There is no one like him among
all the people.' And all the people shouted, 'Long live
the king!'
Samuel told the people the rights and duties of the
kingship; and he wrote them in a book and laid it up
before the Lord. Then Samuel sent all the people back to
their homes. Saul also went to his home at Gibeah, and
with him went warriors whose hearts God had touched. But
some worthless fellows said, 'How can this man save us?'
They despised him and brought him no present. But he held
his peace.
Now Nahash, king of the Ammonites, had been grievously
oppressing the Gadites and the Reubenites. He would gouge
out the right eye of each of them and would not grant
Israel a deliverer. No one was left of the Israelites
across the Jordan whose right eye Nahash, king of the
Ammonites, had not gouged out. But there were seven
thousand men who had escaped from the Ammonites and had
entered Jabesh-gilead.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 10:38-42

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Herongate, Brockham, Illsley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t089.html

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For the Episcopal Church as it gathers in General Convention,
that it may flourish as a part of Christ's one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church,
faithfully fulfilling its mission and exercising its ministry
in the changes and chances of this day and age,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For forgiveness of our failure to commend the faith that is in us
to those both far and near,
that you wll strengthen us to proclaim by word and example
the good news of God in Jesus Christ,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for the courage, compassion, and fearless witness
of lay and clergy leaders who have risen to the trials of our times,
and who have called the chuch to live out its enduring truth
in the midst of changing circumstances,
that our witness may be ever fatihful and ever new,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the coming of your kingdom,
that we may prayerfully continue to strive for justice and peace
as signs of your reign that is already at work among us,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
you called your church to be One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic:
by your Spirit guide the deliberations of General Convention,
that our church may be One because we find true oneness in doing your will;
Holy because we seek inspiration through your holy Spirit;
Catholic because we maintain the universal truth that is in Jesus;
Apostolic because we remember that our mission
is to share by life and witness the good news
of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Almighty and eternal God,
you have given us blessed Antony of Padua
as an example of outstanding preaching
and intercession for others in times of need:
Grant us grace so to follow his model of Christian living
that we may experience the support of your Holy Spirit
in all that we must endure;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

Hymn (c) 1971 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Antony was born in Lisbon in 1195, and spent the first twenty-five years of his
life in Portugal. Desiring to become a missionary, he joined the Franciscans and
was sent to Morocco to preach to the Muslims. His health failed, and he
returned almost immediately and was sent to Italy, where he seemed headed
for an uneventful obscurity. However, a conference of Dominicans and
Franciscans was scheduled, at which each group thought that the other was
about to provide the preacher, and so no one was prepared. For some reason,
Antony was thrust forward and told to say something, and he astonished his
hearers with the grace and power of his exhortation. He was told that he must
speak more often, and he devoted the last nine years of his life to preaching.
He had a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, and his sermons reflect that
knowledge. He was noted for his refutations of heresies, and for his
denunciations of clergy who did not live dedicated lives and of wealthy and
powerful persons who oppressed the common people.
It is said that Antony in his private prayers was accustomed to direct his
devotion to Jesus as an infant, and to meditate on the Divine Humility that
stooped to accept, not merely the limitations of being human, but the
limitations of being a helpless baby, utterly dependent on others. For this
reason, artists often portray Antony in a Franciscan robe, carrying a lily and the
child Jesus.
Background note: In many countries, it is widely believed that Antony, now in
heaven, makes a special point of praying on behalf of his fellow Christians who
have lost or misplaced items and wish to find them. He also prays on behalf of
women who wish to marry. [James Kiefer, abridged]