OREMUS: 9 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 8 21:09:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, June 9, 2006
Columba, Abbot of Iona, Missionary, 597

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

READING [1 Samuel 7:3-17]:

Then Samuel said to all the house of Israel, 'If you are
returning to the Lord with all your heart, then put away
the foreign gods and the Astartes from among you. Direct
your heart to the Lord, and serve him only, and he will
deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.' So
Israel put away the Baals and the Astartes, and they
served the Lord only.

Then Samuel said, 'Gather all Israel at Mizpah, and I
will pray to the Lord for you.' So they gathered at
Mizpah, and drew water and poured it out before the Lord.
They fasted that day, and said, 'We have sinned against
the Lord.' And Samuel judged the people of Israel at
Mizpah.

When the Philistines heard that the people of Israel had
gathered at Mizpah, the lords of the Philistines went up
against Israel. And when the people of Israel heard of it
they were afraid of the Philistines. The people of Israel
said to Samuel, 'Do not cease to cry out to the Lord our
God for us, and pray that he may save us from the hand of
the Philistines.' So Samuel took a sucking lamb and
offered it as a whole burnt-offering to the Lord; Samuel
cried out to the Lord for Israel, and the Lord answered
him. As Samuel was offering up the burnt-offering, the
Philistines drew near to attack Israel; but the Lord
thundered with a mighty voice that day against the
Philistines and threw them into confusion; and they were
routed before Israel. And the men of Israel went out of
Mizpah and pursued the Philistines, and struck them down
as far as beyond Beth-car.

Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and
Jeshanah, and named it Ebenezer; for he said, 'Thus far
the Lord has helped us.' So the Philistines were subdued
and did not again enter the territory of Israel; the hand
of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of
Samuel. The towns that the Philistines had taken from
Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath; and
Israel recovered their territory from the hand of the
Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the
Amorites.

Samuel judged Israel all the days of his life. He went on
a circuit year by year to Bethel, Gilgal, and Mizpah; and
he judged Israel in all these places. Then he would come
back to Ramah, for his home was there; he administered
justice there to Israel, and built there an altar to the
Lord.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 10:17-24

HYMN
Words: Attributed to Columba (521-597);
translator unknown; text in The Hymnbook, 1971
Tune: Sowby (86 86 88)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a248.html

Alone with none but thee, my God,
I journey on my way.
What need I fear when thou art near,
O King of night and day?
More safe am I within thy hand
than if a host should round me stand.

My destined time is known to thee,
and death will keep his hour;
did warriors strong around me throng,
they could not stay his power:
no walls of stone can man defend
when thou thy messenger dost send.

My life I yield to thy decree,
and bow to thy control
in peaceful calm, for from thine arm
no power can wrest my soul.
Could earthly omens e'er appal
a man that heeds the heavenly call?

The child of God can fear no ill,
his chosen dread no foe;
we leave our fate with thee, and wait
thy bidding when to go.
'Tis not from chance our comfort springs.
thou art our trust, O King of kings.

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of Delaware, USA,
The Rt Revd Wayne Parker Wright, Bishop.
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Remember us, gracious God,
when we cannot see your way and purpose,
and renew in us the joy of your kingdom of light and life.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who filled the heart of Columba
with the joy of the Holy Spirit
and with deep love for those in his care:
may your pilgrim people follow him,
strong in faith, sustained by hope,
and one in the love that binds us to you;

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.

Intercession adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from _Words for
Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

In the troubled and violent Dark Ages in Northern Europe, monasteries served
as inns, orphanages, centers of learning, and even as fortresses. The light of
civilization flickered dimly and might have gone out altogether if it had not
been for these convent-shelters.
Columba, a stern and strong monk from Ireland, founded three such
establishments. He founded the monasteries of Derry and Durrow in his native
Ireland, and the island monastery of Iona on the coast of Scotland. Iona was
the center of operations for the conversion of the Scots and Picts, and became
the most famous religious house in Scotland. There Columba baptized Brude,
King of the Picts, and later a King of the Scots came to this Abbot of the "Holy
Isle" for baptism.
The historian Bede tells us that Columba led many to Christianity by his
"preaching and example." He was much admired for his physical as well as
spiritual prowess. He was a strict ascetic and remained physically vigorous and
unflagging in his missionary and pastoral journeys throughout his seventy-six
years of life. The memory of Columba lives on in Scotland, and Iona, though
desecrated during the Reformation, today houses a flourishing ecumenical
religious community. [James Kiefer]