OREMUS: 8 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 7 20:55:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, June 8, 2006
Thomas Ken, Bishop of Bath and Wells, Non-Juror, Hymn Writer, 1711

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [1 Samuel 6:13-7:1]:

Now the people of Beth-shemesh were reaping their wheat
harvest in the valley. When they looked up and saw the
ark, they went with rejoicing to meet it. The cart came
into the field of Joshua of Beth-shemesh, and stopped
there. A large stone was there; so they split up the wood
of the cart and offered the cows as a burnt-offering to
the Lord. The Levites took down the ark of the Lord and
the box that was beside it, in which were the gold
objects, and set them upon the large stone. Then the
people of Beth-shemesh offered burnt-offerings and
presented sacrifices on that day to the Lord. When the
five lords of the Philistines saw it, they returned that
day to Ekron.
These are the gold tumours, which the Philistines
returned as a guilt-offering to the Lord: one for Ashdod,
one for Gaza, one for Ashkelon, one for Gath, one for
Ekron; also the gold mice, according to the number of all
the cities of the Philistines belonging to the five
lords, both fortified cities and unwalled villages. The
great stone, beside which they set down the ark of the
Lord, is a witness to this day in the field of Joshua of
Beth-shemesh.
The descendants of Jeconiah did not rejoice with the
people of Beth-shemesh when they greeted the ark of the
Lord; and he killed seventy men of them. The people
mourned because the Lord had made a great slaughter among
the people. Then the people of Beth-shemesh said, 'Who is
able to stand before the Lord, this holy God? To whom
shall he go so that we may be rid of him?' So they sent
messengers to the inhabitants of Kiriath-jearim, saying,
'The Philistines have returned the ark of the Lord. Come
down and take it up to you.'
And the people of Kiriath-jearim came and took up the ark
of the Lord, and brought it to the house of Abinadab on
the hill. They consecrated his son, Eleazar, to have
charge of the ark of the Lord.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 10:1-12

HYMN
Words: Thomas Ken, 1695, 1709
Tune: Morning Hymn
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a408.html

Awake, my soul, and with the sun
thy daily stage of duty run;
shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
to pay thy morning sacrifice.

Lord, I my vows to thee renew;
disperse my sins as morning dew;
guard my first springs of thought and will,
and with thyself my spirit fill.

Direct, control, suggest, this day,
all I design or do or say;
that all my powers, with all their might,
in thy sole glory may unite.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
praise him, all creatures here below;
praise him above, ye heavenly host:
praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayer especially for the Diocese of
Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Valentino Mokiwa, Bishop.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, from whom all blessings flow,
by whose providence we are kept
and by whose grace we are directed:
help us, through the example of your servant Thomas Ken,
faithfully to keep your word,
humbly to accept adversity
and steadfastly to worship you;

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Emma Richards, Villa Park, Illinois as
adapted in _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Thomas Ken in the course of his lifetime was both rewarded and punished for
his firm adherence to principle. He was born in 1637 and reared by his
half-sister Anne and her husband the well-known angler Izaak Walton. He
became a clergyman and served for a year at the Hague as chaplain to Mary,
Princess of England and Queen of Holland, niece of King Charles II of England
and wife of the Dutch King William of Orange. During this year he publicly
rebuked King William for his treatment of his wife the said Mary, which may
be why he was chaplain there for only a year. Upon his return to England, he
was made Royal Chaplain to King Charles. The King had a mistress, Nell
Gwyn, and for his convenience wished to lodge her in his chaplain's residence.
Thomas sent the King a sharp refusal, saying that it was not suitable that the
Royal Chaplain should double as the Royal Pimp. Charles admired his honesty
and bluntness, and when the bishopric of Bath and Wells became available
soon after, he declared, "None shall have it but that little man who refused
lodging to poor Nellie!" Ken was accordingly made a bishop. When Charles
was on his deathbed, it was Ken whom he asked to be with him and prepare
him for death.
Under the next king, James II, brother of Charles, matters were different.
James converted to Roman Catholicism, the religion of his mother, and
political turmoil followed. James issued a decree known as the Declaration of
Indulgence, which decreed that various public offices formerly open only to
Anglicans, should thereafter be open to all persons. It was feared that the King
would appoint large numbers of Roman Catholics to positions of power, and
eventually transfer to them the control of the government. When the King
commanded the bishops to proclaim the Declaration of Indulgence, seven of
them refused to do so and were by the King's command imprisoned in the
Tower of London. The people of London rioted, and the bishops were freed
and carried in triumph through the streets of the city. Soon after, Parliament
offered the crown to the King's daughter Mary and her husband William of
Orange and James fled into exile.
William and Mary naturally began their reign by demanding oaths of allegiance
from all persons holding public positions, including the bishops. Thomas Ken
and others (known as the Non-Jurors -- the older meaning of "juror" is "one
who takes an oath," hence "perjurer" as "one who swears falsely") refused to
take the oath, on the grounds that they had sworn allegiance to James, and
could not during his lifetime swear allegiance to another monarch without
making such oaths a mockery. They were accordingly put out of office.
Thomas Ken became a private tutor and spent the rest of his life in retirement.
He died 19 March 1711. [James Kiefer, abridged]