OREMUS: 7 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 6 20:11:29 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of the Messiah (from Isaiah 9

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.

You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.

For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.

For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.

And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor,
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.

>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [1 Samuel 5]:

When the Philistines captured the ark of God, they
brought it from Ebenezer to Ashdod; then the Philistines
took the ark of God and brought it into the house of
Dagon and placed it beside Dagon. When the people of
Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen
on his face to the ground before the ark of the Lord. So
they took Dagon and put him back in his place. But when
they rose early on the next morning, Dagon had fallen on
his face to the ground before the ark of the Lord, and
the head of Dagon and both his hands were lying cut off
upon the threshold; only the trunk of Dagon was left to
him. This is why the priests of Dagon and all who enter
the house of Dagon do not step on the threshold of Dagon
in Ashdod to this day.
The hand of the Lord was heavy upon the people of Ashdod,
and he terrified and struck them with tumours, both in
Ashdod and in its territory. And when the inhabitants of
Ashdod saw how things were, they said, 'The ark of the
God of Israel must not remain with us; for his hand is
heavy on us and on our god Dagon.' So they sent and
gathered together all the lords of the Philistines, and
said, 'What shall we do with the ark of the God of
Israel?' The inhabitants of Gath replied, 'Let the ark of
God be moved on to us.' So they moved the ark of the God
of Israel to Gath. But after they had brought it to Gath,
the hand of the Lord was against the city, causing a very
great panic; he struck the inhabitants of the city, both
young and old, so that tumours broke out on them. So they
sent the ark of the God of Israel to Ekron. But when the
ark of God came to Ekron, the people of Ekron cried out,
'Why have they brought across to us the ark of the God of
Israel to kill us and our people?' They sent therefore
and gathered together all the lords of the Philistines,
and said, 'Send away the ark of the God of Israel, and
let it return to its own place, that it may not kill us
and our people.' For there was a deathly panic throughout
the whole city. The hand of God was very heavy there;
those who did not die were stricken with tumours, and the
cry of the city went up to heaven.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 9:51-62

HYMN
Words: Edward Hayes Plumptre, 1889
Tune: Thornbury
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t683.html

Thy hand, O God, has guided
thy flock, from age to age;
their wondrous tale is written,
full clear, on every page;
thy people owned thy goodness,
and we their deeds record;
and both of this bear witness;
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Thy heralds brought glad tidings
to greatest as to least;
they bade men rise, and hasten
to share the great King's feast;
and this was all their teaching,
in every deed and word,
to all alike proclaiming
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

When shadows thick were falling,
and all seemed sunk in night,
thou, Lord, didst send thy servants,
thy chosen sons of light.
On them and on thy people
thy plenteous grace was poured,
and this was still their message,
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Through many a day of darkness,
through many a scene of strife,
the faithful few fought bravely,
to guard the nation's life.
Their gospel of redemption,
sin pardoned, man restored,
was all in this enfolded:
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

And we, shall we be faithless?
shall hearts fail, hands hang down?
shall we evade the conflict,
and cast away our crown?
Not so: in God's deep counsels
some better thing is stored;
we will maintain, unflinching,
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Thy mercy will not fail us,
nor leave thy work undone;
with thy right hand to help us,
thy victory shall be won;
and then, by all creation,
thy name shall be adored,
and this shall be their anthem:
one Church, one Faith, one Lord.

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially the Diocese of
Damaturu, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Abiodun Ogunyemi, Bishop.
Shed forth your Spirit that we may be strengthened in our work.

All creation trembles before you, Lord God,
for you have plumbed the deep waters of death
and have brought us forth as new-born into your sanctuary:
may your presence go before us to guide us
   into your kingdom;

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_, (c) World Council of
Churches, 1991.