OREMUS: 5 June 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 4 20:35:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, June 5, 2006
Boniface (Wynfrith) of Crediton, Bishop, Apostle of Germany, Martyr, 754

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [1 Samuel 4:1-11]:

And the word of Samuel came to all Israel.
In those days the Philistines mustered for war against
Israel, and Israel went out to battle against them; they
encamped at Ebenezer, and the Philistines encamped at
Aphek. The Philistines drew up in line against Israel,
and when the battle was joined, Israel was defeated by
the Philistines, who killed about four thousand men on
the field of battle. When the troops came to the camp,
the elders of Israel said, 'Why has the Lord put us to
rout today before the Philistines? Let us bring the ark
of the covenant of the Lord here from Shiloh, so that he
may come among us and save us from the power of our
enemies.' So the people sent to Shiloh, and brought from
there the ark of the covenant of the Lord of hosts, who
is enthroned on the cherubim. The two sons of Eli, Hophni
and Phinehas, were there with the ark of the covenant of
God.
When the ark of the covenant of the Lord came into the
camp, all Israel gave a mighty shout, so that the earth
resounded. When the Philistines heard the noise of the
shouting, they said, 'What does this great shouting in
the camp of the Hebrews mean?' When they learned that the
ark of the Lord had come to the camp, the Philistines
were afraid; for they said, 'Gods have come into the
camp.' They also said, 'Woe to us! For nothing like this
has happened before. Woe to us! Who can deliver us from
the power of these mighty gods? These are the gods who
struck the Egyptians with every sort of plague in the
wilderness. Take courage, and be men, O Philistines, in
order not to become slaves to the Hebrews as they have
been to you; be men and fight.'
So the Philistines fought; Israel was defeated, and they
fled, everyone to his home. There was a very great
slaughter, for there fell of Israel thirty thousand
foot-soldiers. The ark of God was captured; and the two
sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, died.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 9:28-36

HYMN
Words: Edward Henry Plumptre (1821-1891)
Tune: Neumark
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o411.html

O Lord of hosts, all heaven possessing,
behold us from thy sapphire throne,
in doubt and darkness dimly guessing,
we might thy glory half have known;
but thou in Christ hast made us thine,
and on us all thy beauties shine.

Illumine all, disciples, teachers,
thy law's deep wonders to unfold;
with reverent hand let wisdom's preachers
bring forth their treasures, new and old;
let oldest, youngest, find in thee
of truth and love the boundless sea.

Let faith still light the lamp of science,
and knowledge pass from truth to truth,
and wisdom, in its full reliance,
renew the primal awe of youth;
so holier, wiser, may we grow,
as time's swift currents onward flow.

Bind thou our life in fullest union
with all thy saints from sin set free;
uphold us in that blest communion
of all thy saints on earth with thee;
keep thou our souls, or there or here,
in mightiest love, that casts out fear.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
 Cyangugu, Rwanda, The Rt Revd Geoffrey Rwubusisi, Bishop.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Tender God,
gentle protector in time of trouble:
pierce the gloom of despair
and give us, with all your people,
the song of freedom and the shout of praise,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who called your servant Boniface
to preach the gospel among the German people
and to build up your Church in holiness:
grant that we may preserve in our hearts
that faith which he taught with his words
and sealed with his blood,
and profess it in lives dedicated to your Son
Jesus Christ our Lord,

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.

Wynfrith, nicknamed Boniface ("good deeds"), was born around 680 near
Crediton in Devonshire, England. When he was five, he listened to some
monks who were staying at his father's house. They had returned from a
mission to the pagans on the continent, and Boniface was so impressed by
them that he resolved to follow their example. Although his father had intended
him for a secular career, he gave way to his son's entreaties and sent him at the
age of seven to a monastery school. He eventually became director of the
school at Nursling, in Winchester, where he wrote the first Latin grammar in
England, and gave lectures that were widely copied and circulated.
At thirty, he was ordained and set out to preach in Friesland (overlaps with
modern Holland), whence he was soon expelled because of war between its
heathen king and Charles Martel of France. Boniface, after a brief withdrawal,
went into Hesse and Bavaria, having secured the support of the Pope and of
Charles Martel for his work there. In Hesse, in the presence of a large crowd
of pagans, he cut down the Sacred Oak of Geismar, a tree of immense age and
girth, sacred to the god Thor. It is said that after only a few blows of his axe,
the tree tottered and crashed to the ground, breaking into four pieces and
revealing itself to be rotted away within. It was the beginning of a highly
successful missionary effort, and the planting of a vigorous Christian church in
Germany, where Boniface was eventually consecrated bishop. He asked the
Christian Saxons of England to support his work among their kinsmen on the
continent, and they responded with money, books, supplies, and above all, with
a steady supply of monks to assist him in teaching and preaching.
Boniface did not confine his attentions to Germany. He worked to establish
cooperation between the Pope and others in Italy on the one hand and Charles
and his successors in France on the other. He persuaded Carloman and Pepin,
the sons of Charles, to call synods for the reform of the church in their
territories, where under previous rulers bishoprics had often been sold to the
highest bidder. He never forgot his initial failure in Friesland, and in old age
resigned his bishopric and returned to work there. Many Frisians had been
converted earlier by Willibrord (another Saxon missionary from England), but
had lapsed after his death. Boniface preached among them with considerable
success. On June 5, the eve of Pentecost, 754, he was preparing a group of
Frisians for confirmation when they were attacked and killed by heathen
warriors.