OREMUS: 1 August 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 31 20:01:56 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 1, 2006

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Luke 5:12-16]:

Once, when Jesus was in one of the cities, there was a
man covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he bowed
with his face to the ground and begged him, 'Lord, if you
choose, you can make me clean.' Then Jesus stretched out
his hand, touched him, and said, 'I do choose. Be made
clean.' Immediately the leprosy left him. And he ordered
him to tell no one. 'Go', he said, 'and show yourself to
the priest, and, as Moses commanded, make an offering for
your cleansing, for a testimony to them.' But now more
than ever the word about Jesus spread abroad; many crowds
would gather to hear him and to be cured of their
diseases. But he would withdraw to deserted places and
pray.

For another Biblical reading,
Tobit 5:1 6:1

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Eltham, Rockingham, Hesperus, Eden
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o184.html

O God of love, O King of peace,
make wars throughout the world to cease;
the wrath of sinful man restrain,
give peace, O God, give peace again!

Remember, Lord, thy works of old,
the wonders that our fathers told;
remember not our sin's dark stain,
give peace, O God, give peace again!

Whom shall we trust but thee, O Lord?
Where rest but on thy faithful word?
None ever called on thee in vain,
give peace, O God, give peace again!

Where saints and angels dwell above,
all hearts are knit in holy love;
O bind us in that heavenly chain,
give peace, O God, give peace again!

God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....
the Church, especially

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board.