OREMUS: 30 July 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 30 14:40:48 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, July 30, 2006
The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
  and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
  and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
  there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
  and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
  and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
  and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
    of your great goodness;*
  they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
  slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
  and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
  and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
  and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
  and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
  your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
  and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
  he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
  and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
  and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
  and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
  to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
  he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
  but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
  let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 31:43a,44-32:2]:

Then Laban answered and said to Jacob, 'Come now, let us make a covenant,
you and I; and let it be a witness between you and me.' So Jacob took a
stone, and set it up as a pillar. And Jacob said to his kinsfolk, 'Gather
stones,' and they took stones, and made a heap; and they ate there by the
heap. Laban called it Jegar-sahadutha: but Jacob called it Galeed. Laban
said, 'This heap is a witness between you and me today.' Therefore he
called it Galeed, and the pillar Mizpah, for he said, 'The LORD watch
between you and me, when we are absent one from the other. If you ill-treat
my daughters, or if you take wives in addition to my daughters, though no
one else is with us, remember that God is witness between you and me.'

Then Laban said to Jacob, 'See this heap and see the pillar, which I have
set between you and me. This heap is a witness, and the pillar is a
witness, that I will not pass beyond this heap to you, and you will not
pass beyond this heap and this pillar to me, for harm. May the God of
Abraham and the God of Nahor' the God of their father 'judge between us.'
So Jacob swore by the Fear of his father Isaac, and Jacob offered a
sacrifice on the height and called his kinsfolk to eat bread; and they ate
bread and tarried all night in the hill country.

Early in the morning Laban rose up, and kissed his grandchildren and his
daughters and blessed them; then he departed and returned home.

Jacob went on his way and the angels of God met him; and when Jacob saw
them he said, 'This is God's camp!' So he called that place Mahanaim.

For another Biblical reading, Roma ns 10:17-11:6

HYMN
Words: Charles Silvester Horne, 1909
Tune: Cormac

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f215.html

For the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God;
thou hast kept thy pilgrim people by the strength of thy staff and rod;
thou hast called us to the journey which faithless feet ne'er trod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

For the love of Christ constraining, that bound their hearts as one;
for the faith in truth and freedom in which their work was done;
for the peace of God's evangel wherewith their feet were shod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

We are watchers of a beacon whose light must never die;
we are guardians of an altar that shows thee ever nigh;
we are children of thy freemen who sleep beneath the sod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

May the shadow of thy presence around our camp be spread;
baptize us with the courage thou gavest to our dead;
0 keep us in the pathway their saintly feet have trod;
for the might of thine arm we bless thee, our God, our fathers' God.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus fed the hungry
with the bread of his life and the word of his kingdom:
Renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness sustain us
with your true and living bread,
Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use sentences
from prayers in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The collect is from A Prayer Book for Australia. © 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.