OREMUS: 29 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 28 19:25:16 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, July 29, 2006
Mary, Martha and Lazarus, Companions of Our Lord

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Psalm 74 [CCP]

O God, why have you utterly cast us off?*
 why is your wrath so hot
   against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your congregation that you purchased long ago,*
 the tribe you redeemed to be your inheritance,
   and Mount Zion where you dwell.
Turn your steps towards the endless ruins;*
 the enemy has laid waste everything in your sanctuary.
Your adversaries roared in your holy place;*
 they set up their banners as tokens of victory.
They were like men coming up with axes
   to a grove of trees;*
 they broke down all your carved work
   with hatchets and hammers.
They set fire to your holy place;*
 they defiled the dwelling-place of your name
   and razed it to the ground.
They said to themselves, 'Let us destroy them altogether.'*
 They burned down all the meeting-places of God
   in the land.
There are no signs for us to see;
   there is no prophet left;*
 there is not one among us who knows how long.
How long, O God, will the adversary scoff?*
 will the enemy blaspheme your name for ever?
Why do you draw back your hand?*
 why is your right hand hidden in your bosom?
Yet God is my king from ancient times,*
 victorious in the midst of the earth.
You divided the sea by your might*
 and shattered the heads of the dragons upon the waters;
You crushed the heads of Leviathan*
 and gave him to the people of the desert for food.
You split open spring and torrent;*
 you dried up ever-flowing rivers.
Yours is the day, yours also the night;*
 you established the moon and the sun.
You fixed all the boundaries of the earth;*
 you made both summer and winter.
Remember, O Lord, how the enemy scoffed,*
 how a foolish people despised your name.
Do not hand over the life of your dove to wild beasts;*
 never forget the lives of your poor.
Look upon your covenant;*
 the dark places of the earth are haunts of violence.
Let not the oppressed turn away ashamed;*
 let the poor and needy praise your name.
Arise, O God, maintain your cause;*
 remember how fools revile you all day long.
Forget not the clamour of your adversaries,*
 the unending tumult of those who rise up against you.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Job 19:1-28a]:

Then Job answered:
'How long will you torment me,
   and break me in pieces with words?
These ten times you have cast reproach upon me;
   are you not ashamed to wrong me?
And even if it is true that I have erred,
   my error remains with me.
If indeed you magnify yourselves against me,
   and make my humiliation an argument against me,
know then that God has put me in the wrong,
   and closed his net around me.
Even when I cry out, "Violence!" I am not answered;
   I call aloud, but there is no justice.
He has walled up my way so that I cannot pass,
   and he has set darkness upon my paths.
He has stripped my glory from me,
   and taken the crown from my head.
He breaks me down on every side, and I am gone,
   he has uprooted my hope like a tree.
He has kindled his wrath against me,
   and counts me as his adversary.
His troops come on together;
   they have thrown up siege-works against me,
   and encamp around my tent.

'He has put my family far from me,
   and my acquaintances are wholly estranged from me.
My relatives and my close friends have failed me;
   the guests in my house have forgotten me;
my serving-girls count me as a stranger;
   I have become an alien in their eyes.
I call to my servant, but he gives me no answer;
   I must myself plead with him.
My breath is repulsive to my wife;
   I am loathsome to my own family.
Even young children despise me;
   when I rise, they talk against me.
All my intimate friends abhor me,
   and those whom I loved have turned against me.
My bones cling to my skin and to my flesh,
   and I have escaped by the skin of my teeth.
Have pity on me, have pity on me, O you my friends,
   for the hand of God has touched me!
Why do you, like God, pursue me,
   never satisfied with my flesh?

'O that my words were written down!
   O that they were inscribed in a book!
O that with an iron pen and with lead
   they were engraved on a rock for ever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
   and that at the last he will stand upon the earth;
and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
   then in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see on my side,
   and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
   My heart faints within me!

For another Biblical reading,
Hebrews 8

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley (1850-1920)
Tune: Song 18
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l350.html

Lord Jesus, who at Lazarus' tomb
to weeping friends from death's dark womb
didst bring new joy to life,
grant to the friends who stand forlorn
a vision of that larger morn
where peace has conquered strife.

May we behold across the bar
the dear immortals as they are,
empowered in act and will,
with purer eyes to see their King,
with fuller hearts his praise to sing,
with strength to help us still.

Not fettered now by fleshly bond,
but tireless in the great beyond,
and growing day by day.
Can we not make their gladness ours,
and share their thoughts, their added powers,
and follow as we pray?

O Holy Ghost, the strength and guide
of those who to this earth have died,
but live more near to God,
give us thy grace to follow on,
till we with them the crown have won
who duty's paths have trod.

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

Righteous God, holy Redeemer,
renew your broken people with your Holy Spirit,
give them a vision of the coming dawn
and the courage to walk your narrow way,
that they may be a sign of hope to the needy
and proclaim the gracious name
of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our Father,
whose Son enjoyed the love of his friends
Mary, Martha and Lazarus,
in learning, argument and hospitality:
may we so rejoice in your love
that the world may come to know
the depths of your wisdom,
the wonder of your compassion,
and your power to bring life out of death;
through the merits of Jesus Christ,
our friend and brother,

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Mary and Martha lived with their brother Lazarus at Bethany, a village not far
from Jerusalem. They are mentioned in several episodes in the Gospels.
On one occasion, when Jesus and His disciples were their guests (Luke
10:38-42), Mary sat at Jesus' feet and listened to Him while her sister Martha
busied herself with preparing food and waiting on the guests, and when Martha
complained, Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better part.
When Lazarus, the brother of Mary and Martha, had died, Jesus came to
Bethany. Martha, upon being told that He was approaching, went out to meet
Him, while Mary sat still in the house until He sent for her. It was to Martha
that Jesus said: "I am the Resurrection and the Life." (John 11:1-44)
Again, about a week before the crucifixion, as Jesus reclined at table, Mary
poured a flask of expensive perfume over Jesus' feet. Mary was criticized for
wasting what might have been sold to raise money for the poor, and again
Jesus spoke on her behalf. (John 12:1-8)
On the basis of these incidents, many Christian writers have seen Mary as
representing Contemplation (prayer and devotion), and Martha as representing
Action (good works, helping others); or love of God and love of neighbor
respectively.