OREMUS: 28 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jul 27 20:32:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, July 28, 2006
Brooke Foss Westcott, Bishop of Durham, Teacher of the Faith, 1901

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

READING [Luke 4:42-44]:

At daybreak Jesus departed and went into a deserted
place. And the crowds were looking for him; and when they
reached him, they wanted to prevent him from leaving
them. But he said to them, 'I must proclaim the good news
of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was
sent for this purpose.' So he continued proclaiming the
message in the synagogues of Judea.

For another Biblical reading,
Tobit 4

HYMN
Words: Arthur Campbell Aigner (1841-1919), 1894
Tune: Benson, Purpose
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g179a.html

God is working his purpose out
as year succeeds to year:
God is working his purpose out,
and the time is drawing near;
nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

>From utmost east to utmost west,
wherever foot hath trod,
by the mouth of many messengers
goes forth the voice of God;
give ear to me, ye continents,
ye isles, give ear to me,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

What can we do to work God's work,
to prosper and increase
the brotherhood of all mankind--
the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can we do to hasten the time--
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

March we forth in the strength of God,
with the banner of Christ unfurled,
that the light of the glorious gospel of truth
may shine throughout the world:
fight we the fight with sorrow and sin
to set their captives free,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

All we can do is nothing worth
unless God blessed the deed;
vainly we hope for the harvest-tide
till God gives life to the seed;
yet nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

Eternal God, we praise you for your mighty love given in
Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and the new life we have
received by his resurrection. Especially we thank you for
     the presence of Christ in our weakness and suffering...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the ministry of Word and Sacrament...
     all who work to help and heal...
     sacrifices made to our benefit...
     opportunities for our generous giving...

God of grace, let our concern for others reflect Christ's
self-giving love, not only in our prayers, but also in
our practice. Especially we pray for
     those subjected to tyranny and oppression...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     wounded and injured people...
     those who face death...
     those who may be our enemies...
     the church in Latin America...

God of saving power,
remember us in times of sorrow and despair.
Redeem us with your strength
and guide us through the wilderness.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Sovereign God,
we have come to your kingdom,
surrounded by the multitude of angels and saints
who work for us and work for you, our Lord.
We remember especially your servant Brooke Foss Westcott,
who taught us to overcome the barriers which hinder us
and the differences which we dare not conceal,
that we may enter into that deeper-lying bond
of righteousness, peace and joy
which unites us all in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The second collect is by Stephen T. Benner.

Born in 1825, Westcott was first ordained and then became a master at
Harrow School. Whilst there, he published a series of scholarly works on the
Bible, his expertise eventually leading to his election as Regius Professor of
Divinity at the University of Cambridge in 1870. With Fenton Hort and J B
Lightfoot, he led a revival in British biblical studies and theology. He became
influential too in the field of Anglican social thought and was significant in the
founding of the Clergy Training School in Cambridge (later renamed Westcott
House in his memory). In 1890, he was consecrated Bishop of Durham, where
he died on this day in 1901. [Exciting Holiness]