OREMUS: 27 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 26 21:39:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, July 27, 2006
William Reed Huntington, Priest, 1909

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Luke 4:31-41]:

Jesus went down to Capernaum, a city in Galilee, and was
teaching them on the sabbath. They were astounded at his
teaching, because he spoke with authority. In the
synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an
unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice, 'Let
us alone! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy
One of God.' But Jesus rebuked him, saying, 'Be silent,
and come out of him!' When the demon had thrown him down
before them, he came out of him without having done him
any harm. They were all amazed and kept saying to one
another, 'What kind of utterance is this? For with
authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and
out they come!' And a report about him began to reach
every place in the region.
After leaving the synagogue he entered Simon's house. Now
Simon's mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever,
and they asked him about her. Then he stood over her and
rebuked the fever, and it left her. Immediately she got
up and began to serve them.

As the sun was setting, all those who had any who were
sick with various kinds of diseases brought them to him;
and he laid his hands on each of them and cured them.
Demons also came out of many, shouting, 'You are the Son
of God!' But he rebuked them and would not allow them to
speak, because they knew that he was the Messiah.

For another Biblical reading,
Tobit 3:7-17

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring, 1870
Tune: St. Leonard
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t615.html

Thou to whom the sick and dying
ever came, nor came in vain,
still with healing word replying
to the wearied cry of pain,
hear us, Jesus, as we meet
suppliants at thy mercy-seat.

Still the weary, sick and dying
need a brother's, sister's care,
on thy higher help relying
may we now their burden share,
bringing all our offerings meet
suppliants at thy mercy-seat.

May each child of thine be willing,
willing both in hand and heart,
all the law of love fulfilling,
ever comfort to impart;
ever bringing offerings meet
suppliant to thy mercy-seat.

So may sickness, sin and sadness
to thy healing virtue yield,
till the sick and sad, in gladness,
rescued, ransomed, cleansŠd, healed,
one in thee together meet,
pardoned at thy judgment-seat.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord our God,
we thank you for instilling in the heart
of your servant William Reed Huntington
a fervent love for your Church
and its mission in the world;
and we pray that, with unflagging faith in your promises,
we may make known to all people
your blessed gift of eternal life;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

The canticle and first collect are  from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.