OREMUS: 23 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 22 20:37:06 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, July 23, 2006
The Seventh Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, provident Father;
with the prayer your Son taught us always on our lips,
we ask, we seek, we knock at your door.
Blessed be God for ever.>

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [2 Samuel 7:18-29]:

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and
said, 'Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that
you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small
thing in your eyes, O Lord God; you have spoken also of
your servant's house for a great while to come. May this
be instruction for the people, O Lord God! And what more
can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord
God! Because of your promise, and according to your own
heart, you have wrought all this greatness, so that your
servant may know it. Therefore you are great, O Lord God;
for there is no one like you, and there is no God besides
you, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
Who is like your people, like Israel? Is there another
nation on earth whose God went to redeem it as a people,
and to make a name for himself, doing great and awesome
things for them, by driving out before his people nations
and their gods? And you established your people Israel
for yourself to be your people for ever; and you, O Lord,
became their God. And now, O Lord God, as for the word
that you have spoken concerning your servant and
concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as you have
promised. Thus your name will be magnified for ever in
the saying, "The Lord of hosts is God over Israel"; and
the house of your servant David will be established
before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel,
have made this revelation to your servant, saying, "I
will build you a house"; therefore your servant has found
courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God,
you are God, and your words are true, and you have
promised this good thing to your servant; now therefore
may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so
that it may continue for ever before you; for you, O Lord
God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house
of your servant be blessed for ever.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ephesians 2:1-10

HYMN
Words: W.C. Smith (1824-1908)
Tune: Picardy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e007.html

Earth was waiting, spent and restless,
with a mingled hope and fear,
faithful men and women praying,
"Surely, Lord, the day is near:
the Desire of all the nations--
it is time he should appear!"

Then the Spirit of the Highest
to a Virgin meek came down,
and he burdened her with blessing,
and he pained her with renown;
for she bore the Lord's Anointed
for his cross and for his crown.

Earth has groaned and labored for him
since the ages first began,
for in him was hid the secret
which through all the ages ran--
Son of Mary, Son of David,
Son of God, and Son of Man.

O God, Creator of all that is and is to be,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Son, restorer of all creation
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Spirit, ground of all holiness,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Uphold and govern the Churches of the Anglican Communion;
direct them into love and truth;
and grant them that unity which is your will.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us such a sense of your love,
and such a vision of your purpose for all creation
that we may receive new understanding of your mercy
and, resisting schism, boldly proclaim the gospel.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten your bishops with your special grace;
grant to them wisdom, knowledge and understanding;
empower them with such gifts of reconciliation and love
that, embracing difference and diversity,
our church may joyfully proclaim your word.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us discerning and receptive minds;
where there is anger, grant reconciliation;
where there is prejudice, grant openness;
where there is fearfulness, give serenity;
where there is ambition, give humility.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Endow us with clarity of thought,
generosity of mind, and charity of speech;
grant us gifts of patience and forbearance;
may we delight in the truth
and be surprised by the Spirit.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down all the powers of darkness.
Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
Have mercy upon us.

Heavenly Father,
you have called us
in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ
to continue his work of reconciliation
and reveal you to humankind.
Forgive us the sins that tear us apart;
give us the courage to overcome our fears
and to seek that unity
which is your gift and your will;

Out of your never-failing abundance,
satisfy the hungers of body and soul
and lead all peoples of the earth
to the feast of the world to come. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by The Revd Dr Trevor James, Vicar of St Mary's Anglican
Church, Hawera, New Zealand, drawing on traditional models to create a
litany; adapted