OREMUS: 21 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jul 20 23:37:37 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, July 21, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

READING [Jeremiah 28]:

In that same year, at the beginning of the reign of King Zedekiah of Judah, in the fifth
month of the fourth year, the prophet Hananiah son of Azzur, from Gibeon, spoke to
me in the house of the Lord, in the presence of the priests and all the people, saying,
'Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: I have broken the yoke of the king of
Babylon. Within two years I will bring back to this place all the vessels of the Lord's
house, which King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon took away from this place and carried
to Babylon. I will also bring back to this place King Jeconiah son of Jehoiakim of
Judah, and all the exiles from Judah who went to Babylon, says the Lord, for I will
break the yoke of the king of Babylon.'
Then the prophet Jeremiah spoke to the prophet Hananiah in the presence of the
priests and all the people who were standing in the house of the Lord; and the prophet
Jeremiah said, 'Amen! May the Lord do so; may the Lord fulfil the words that you
have prophesied, and bring back to this place from Babylon the vessels of the house of
the Lord, and all the exiles. But listen now to this word that I speak in your hearing
and in the hearing of all the people. The prophets who preceded you and me from
ancient times prophesied war, famine, and pestilence against many countries and great
kingdoms. As for the prophet who prophesies peace, when the word of that prophet
comes true, then it will be known that the Lord has truly sent the prophet.'
Then the prophet Hananiah took the yoke from the neck of the prophet Jeremiah,
and broke it. And Hananiah spoke in the presence of all the people, saying, 'Thus says
the Lord: This is how I will break the yoke of King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon from
the neck of all the nations within two years.' At this, the prophet Jeremiah went his
way.
Some time after the prophet Hananiah had broken the yoke from the neck of the
prophet Jeremiah, the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: Go, tell Hananiah, Thus
says the Lord: You have broken wooden bars only to forge iron bars in place of them!
For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: I have put an iron yoke on the neck
of all these nations so that they may serve King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, and they
shall indeed serve him; I have even given him the wild animals. And the prophet
Jeremiah said to the prophet Hananiah, 'Listen, Hananiah, the Lord has not sent you,
and you made this people trust in a lie. Therefore thus says the Lord: I am going to
send you off the face of the earth. Within this year you will be dead, because you have
spoken rebellion against the Lord.'
In that same year, in the seventh month, the prophet Hananiah died.

For another Biblical reading,
John 16:25-33

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Repton
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h370.html

How clear is our vocation, Lord,
when once we heed your call:
to live according to your word,
and daily learn, refreshed, restored,
that you are Lord of all,
and will not let us fall.

But if, forgetful, we should find
your yoke is hard to bear;
if worldly pressures fray the mind
and love itself cannot unwind
its tangled skein of care:
our inward life repair.

We mark your saints, how they became
in hindrances more sure,
whose joyful virtues put to shame
the casual way we wear your name,
and by our faults obscure
your power to cleanse and cure.

In what you give us, Lord, to do,
together or alone,
in old routines or ventures new,
may we not cease to look for you,
the cross you hung upon,
all you endeavored done.

Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for
every weakness, forgiveness for our failures, and new
beginnings in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
                                (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our
prayers, yet you welcome our concerns for others in Jesus
Christ. Especially we pray for
     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
                                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith
     and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...

Remember us, gracious God,
when we cannot see your way and purpose,
and renew in us the joy of your kingdom of light and life.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1982 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com