OREMUS: 20 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 19 19:21:45 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Jeremiah 27:2,12-22]:

Thus the Lord said to me: Make yourself a yoke of straps
and bars, and put them on your neck.
I spoke to King Zedekiah of Judah in the same way: Bring
your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon, and
serve him and his people, and live. Why should you and
your people die by the sword, by famine, and by
pestilence, as the Lord has spoken concerning any nation
that will not serve the king of Babylon? Do not listen to
the words of the prophets who are telling you not to
serve the king of Babylon, for they are prophesying a lie
to you. I have not sent them, says the Lord, but they are
prophesying falsely in my name, with the result that I
will drive you out and you will perish, you and the
prophets who are prophesying to you.
Then I spoke to the priests and to all this people,
saying, Thus says the Lord: Do not listen to the words of
your prophets who are prophesying to you, saying, 'The
vessels of the Lord's house will soon be brought back
from Babylon', for they are prophesying a lie to you. Do
not listen to them; serve the king of Babylon and live.
Why should this city become a desolation? If indeed they
are prophets, and if the word of the Lord is with them,
then let them intercede with the Lord of hosts, that the
vessels left in the house of the Lord, in the house of
the king of Judah, and in Jerusalem may not go to
Babylon. For thus says the Lord of hosts concerning the
pillars, the sea, the stands, and the rest of the vessels
that are left in this city, which King Nebuchadnezzar of
Babylon did not take away when he took into exile from
Jerusalem to Babylon King Jeconiah son of Jehoiakim of
Judah, and all the nobles of Judah and Jerusalem  thus
says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, concerning the
vessels left in the house of the Lord, in the house of
the king of Judah, and in Jerusalem: They shall be
carried to Babylon, and there they shall stay, until the
day when I give attention to them, says the Lord. Then I
will bring them up and restore them to this place.

For another Biblical reading,
John 16:16-24

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Southwell
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r046.html

Restore in us, O God,
the splendor of your love;
renew your image in our hearts,
and all our sins remove.

O Spirit, wake in us
the wonder of your power;
from fruitless fear unfurl our lives
like springtime bud and flower.

Bring us, O Christ, to share
the fullness of your joy;
baptize us in the risen life
that death cannot destroy.

Three-personed God, fulfill
the promise of your grace,
that we, when our searching ends,
may see you face to face.

We give you praise and thanks, O God, for all gifts of
love we have received from you, and for your persistent
mercy in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     work we have accomplished pleasing to you...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the faithful witness of Christian people...
     the example of righteousness we see in parents and teachers...
     the innocence and openness we see in children...
     all works of Christian compassion...

We give you our cares and concerns, O God, because we
know you are kind and care for your children in every
circumstance. Especially we pray for
     those who struggle with doubt and despair...
            (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people afflicted with disease...
     those called to special ministries...
     people neglected or abused...
     Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and other free churches...

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1989 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
Hope Publishing Company, <a
href="http://www.hopepublishing.com">www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com