OREMUS: 18 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 17 20:32:49 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Psalm 68:3-11,19-20,24-31,35-36

Let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Jeremiah 25:15-16, 27-end]:

For thus the Lord, the God of Israel, said to me: Take
from my hand this cup of the wine of wrath, and make all
the nations to whom I send you drink it. They shall drink
and stagger and go out of their minds because of the
sword that I am sending among them.

Then you shall say to them, Thus says the Lord of hosts,
the God of Israel: Drink, get drunk and vomit, fall and
rise no more, because of the sword that I am sending
among you.

And if they refuse to accept the cup from your hand to
drink, then you shall say to them: Thus says the Lord of
hosts: You must drink! See, I am beginning to bring
disaster on the city that is called by my name, and how
can you possibly avoid punishment? You shall not go
unpunished, for I am summoning a sword against all the
inhabitants of the earth, says the Lord of hosts.

You, therefore, shall prophesy against them all these
words, and say to them:
The Lord will roar from on high,
   and from his holy habitation utter his voice;
he will roar mightily against his fold,
   and shout, like those who tread grapes,
   against all the inhabitants of the earth.
The clamour will resound to the ends of the earth,
   for the Lord has an indictment against the
nations;
he is entering into judgement with all flesh,
   and the guilty he will put to the sword,

says the Lord.

Thus says the Lord of hosts:
See, disaster is spreading
   from nation to nation,
and a great tempest is stirring
   from the farthest parts of the earth!

Those slain by the Lord on that day shall extend from one end of
the earth to the other. They shall not be lamented, or gathered, or
buried; they shall become dung on the surface of the ground.
Wail, you shepherds, and cry out;
   roll in ashes, you lords of the flock,
for the days of your slaughter have come and your dispersions,
   and you shall fall like a choice vessel.
Flight shall fail the shepherds,
   and there shall be no escape for the lords of the flock.

Hark! the cry of the shepherds,
   and the wail of the lords of the flock!
For the Lord is despoiling their pasture,
   and the peaceful folds are devastated,
   because of the fierce anger of the Lord.
Like a lion he has left his covert;
   for their land has become a waste
because of the cruel sword,
   and because of his fierce anger.

For another Biblical reading,
John 15:26-16:4a

HYMN
Words: Thomas Benson Pollock (1836-1896), 1868
Tune: Pastor pastorum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f011.html

Faithful Shepherd, feed me
in the pastures green;
Faithful Shepherd, lead me
where thy steps are seen.

Hold me fast, and guide me
in the narrow way;
so, with thee beside me,
I shall never stray.

Daily bring me nearer
to the heavenly shore;
may thy love grow dearer,
may I love thee more.

Hallow every pleasure,
sanctify my pain;
be thyself my treasure,
though none else I gain.

Give me joy or sadness,
this be all my care,
that eternal gladness
I with thee may share.

Day by day prepare me
as thou seest best,
then let angels bear me
to thy promised rest.

Generous God, we thank you for being with us today, and
for every sign of your truth and love in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     the gift of peace in Christ...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     reconciliation in our relationships...
     each new insight into your love...
     energy and courage to share your love...
     the ministries of the church...

Gracious God, we remember in our own hearts the needs of
others, that we may reach up to claim your love for them,
and reach out to give your love in the name of Christ.
Especially we pray for
     racial harmony and justice...
                   (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those imprisoned...
     strangers we have met today...
     friends who are bereaved...
     Orthodox and Coptic churches...

Blessed are you, Lord God of truth and justice:
you open our and our mouths to pray and to praise.
Guide now our feet in your holy way;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. [SEC]

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com