OREMUS: 16 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 15 21:12:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, July 16, 2006
The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
so abundant is your compassion
that you healed the wounds of our sins
and lifted out of death into new life
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [2 Samuel 6:20-23]:

David returned to bless his household. But Michal the
daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, 'How
the king of Israel honoured himself today, uncovering
himself today before the eyes of his servants' maids, as
any vulgar fellow might shamelessly uncover himself!'
David said to Michal, 'It was before the Lord, who chose
me in place of your father and all his household, to
appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord,
that I have danced before the Lord. I will make myself
yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in
my own eyes; but by the maids of whom you have spoken, by
them I shall be held in honour.' And Michal the daughter
of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

For another Biblical reading,
Ephesians 1:15-23

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (1944-);
Tune: Leoni
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b005.html

Be joyful in the Lord;
be joyful, all you lands.
With gladness come before the Lord;
draw near with song.
Know that the Lord is God,
who made us and still stands
to guard the folk, who like a flock,
to God belong.

Approach God's house with thanks
and fill its courts with praise;
with awe invoke God's holy Name:
come and adore.
The Lord our God is good,
whose mercy lasts always
and whose great faithfulness endures
for evermore.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and constant wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice
and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your Word above all else. Amen.

Hymn (c) Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.