OREMUS: 15 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 14 23:46:24 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, July 15, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Job 4:1; 5:6-27]:

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered:
For misery does not come from the earth,
   nor does trouble sprout from the ground;
but human beings are born to trouble
   just as sparks fly upward.

'As for me, I would seek God,
   and to God I would commit my cause.
He does great things and unsearchable,
   marvellous things without number.
He gives rain on the earth
   and sends waters on the fields;
he sets on high those who are lowly,
   and those who mourn are lifted to safety.
He frustrates the devices of the crafty,
   so that their hands achieve no success.
He takes the wise in their own craftiness;
   and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick
end.
They meet with darkness in the daytime,
   and grope at noonday as in the night.
But he saves the needy from the sword of their mouth,
   from the hand of the mighty.
So the poor have hope,
   and injustice shuts its mouth.

'How happy is the one whom God reproves;
   therefore do not despise the discipline of the
Almighty.
For he wounds, but he binds up;
   he strikes, but his hands heal.
He will deliver you from six troubles;
   in seven no harm shall touch you.
In famine he will redeem you from death,
   and in war from the power of the sword.
You shall be hidden from the scourge of the tongue,
   and shall not fear destruction when it comes.
At destruction and famine you shall laugh,
   and shall not fear the wild animals of the earth.
For you shall be in league with the stones of the
field,
   and the wild animals shall be at peace with you.
You shall know that your tent is safe,
   you shall inspect your fold and miss nothing.
You shall know that your descendants will be many,
   and your offspring like the grass of the earth.
You shall come to your grave in ripe old age,
   as a shock of grain comes up to the threshing-floor in
its season.
See, we have searched this out; it is true.
   Hear, and know it for yourself.'

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 15:14-29

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (1926-) (c)
Tune: Regent Square, Ode to Joy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f158.html

Fill your hearts with joy and gladness,
sing and praise your God and mine!
Great the Lord in love and wisdom,
might and majesty divine!
He who framed the starry heavens
knows and names them as they shine.

Praise the Lord, his people, praise him!
wounded souls his comfort know;
those who fear him find his mercies,
peace for pain and joy for woe;
humble hearts are high exalted,
human pride and power laid low.

Praise the Lord for times and seasons,
cloud and sunshine, wind and rain;
spring to melt the snows of winter
till the waters flow again;
grass upon the mountain pastures,
golden valleys thick with grain.

Fill your hearts with joy and gladness,
peace and plenty crown your days;
love his laws, declare his judgments,
walk in all his words and ways;
he the Lord and we his children--
praise the Lord, all people, praise!

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

How generous is your goodness, O God,
how great is your salvation,
how faithful is your love!
Help us to trust in you in trial,
to praise you in deliverance
and to rejoice before you with overflowing hearts;

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

Hymn (c) by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa,
contact: Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 6DY England