OREMUS: 13 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 12 20:39:17 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, July 13, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Jeremiah 23:1-8]:

Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of
my pasture! says the Lord. Therefore, thus says the Lord,
the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who shepherd
my people: It is you who have scattered my flock, and
have driven them away, and you have not attended to them.
So I will attend to you for your evil doings, says the
Lord. Then I myself will gather the remnant of my flock
out of all the lands where I have driven them, and I will
bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful
and multiply. I will raise up shepherds over them who
will shepherd them, and they shall not fear any longer,
or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing, says the
Lord.
The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will
raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign
as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and
righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be
saved and Israel will live in safety. And this is the
name by which he will be called: 'The Lord is our
righteousness.'
Therefore, the days are surely coming, says the Lord,
when it shall no longer be said, 'As the Lord lives who
brought the people of Israel up out of the land of
Egypt', but 'As the Lord lives who brought out and led
the offspring of the house of Israel out of the land of
the north and out of all the lands where he had driven
them.' Then they shall live in their own land.

For another Biblical reading,
John 15:1-11

HYMN
Words:  Philipp Nicolai, 1597;
paraphrased in Psalmodia Germanica, 1722
and altered by William Mercer, 1855, 1859.
Tune: Wie sch”n leuchtet
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h362.html

How bright appears the Morning Star,
with mercy beaming from afar;
the host of heaven rejoices;
O righteous Branch, O Jesse's Rod!
Thou Son of Man and Son of God!
We, too, will lift our voices:
Jesus, Jesus!
Holy, holy, yet most lowly,
draw thou near us;
great Emmanuel, come and hear us.

Though circled by the hosts on high,
he deigned to cast a pitying eye
upon his helpless creature;
the whole creation's Head and Lord,
by highest seraphim adored,
assumed our very nature;
Jesus, grant us,
through thy merit, to inherit
thy salvation;
hear, O hear our supplication.

Rejoice, ye heavens; thou earth, reply;
with praise, ye sinners, fill the sky,
for this his Incarnation.
Incarnate God, put forth thy power,
ride on, ride on, great Conqueror,
till all know thy salvation.
Amen, amen!
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise be given
evermore, by earth and heaven.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.
Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

God our strength,
your power is for peace,
and the pride of your mighty acts
secures the city of the humble.
Teach us to put our trust in your salvation,

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2002.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com