OREMUS: 10 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 9 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, July 10, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Jeremiah 21:1-10]:

This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, when King Zedekiah sent to
him Pashhur son of Malchiah and the priest Zephaniah son of Maaseiah, saying,
'Please inquire of the Lord on our behalf, for King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon is
making war against us; perhaps the Lord will perform a wonderful deed for us, as he
has often done, and will make him withdraw from us.'
Then Jeremiah said to them: Thus you shall say to Zedekiah: Thus says the Lord, the
God of Israel: I am going to turn back the weapons of war that are in your hands and
with which you are fighting against the king of Babylon and against the Chaldeans who
are besieging you outside the walls; and I will bring them together into the centre of
this city. I myself will fight against you with outstretched hand and mighty arm, in
anger, in fury, and in great wrath. And I will strike down the inhabitants of this city,
both human beings and animals; they shall die of a great pestilence. Afterwards, says
the Lord, I will give King Zedekiah of Judah, and his servants, and the people in this
city those who survive the pestilence, sword, and famine into the hands of King
Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon, into the hands of their enemies, into the hands of those
who seek their lives. He shall strike them down with the edge of the sword; he shall
not pity them, or spare them, or have compassion.
And to this people you shall say: Thus says the Lord: See, I am setting before you the
way of life and the way of death. Those who stay in this city shall die by the sword, by
famine, and by pestilence; but those who go out and surrender to the Chaldeans who
are besieging you shall live and shall have their lives as a prize of war. For I have set
my face against this city for evil and not for good, says the Lord: it shall be given into
the hands of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire.

For another Biblical reading,
John 14:1-24

HYMN
Words: Geoffrey Anketel Studdert-Kennedy
Tune: Morning Song
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n057.html

Not here for high and holy things
we render thanks to thee,
but for the common things of earth,
the purple pageantry
of dawning and of dying days,
the splendor of the sea,

the royal robes of autumn moors,
the golden gates of spring,
the velvet of soft summer nights,
the silver glistering
of all the million million stars,
the silent song they sing,

of faith and hope and love undimmed,
undying still through death,
the resurrection of the world,
what time there comes the breath
of dawn that rustles through the trees,
and that clear voice that saith:

Awake, awake to love and work!
The lark is in the sky,
the fields are wet with diamond dew,
the worlds awake to cry
their blessings on the Lord of life,
as he goes meekly by.

Come, let thy voice be one with theirs,
shout with their shout of praise;
see how the giant sun soars up,
great lord of years and days!
So let the love of Jesus come
and set thy soul ablaze,

to give and give, and give again,
what God hath given thee;
to spend thyself nor count the cost;
to serve right gloriously
the God who gave all worlds that are,
and all that are to be.

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_,

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com