OREMUS: 8 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 7 19:36:58 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, July 8, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Psalm 64

Hear my voice, O God, when I complain;*
 protect my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,*
 from the mob of evildoers.
They sharpen their tongue like a sword,*
 and aim their bitter words like arrows,
That they may shoot down the blameless from ambush;*
 they shoot without warning and are not afraid.
They hold fast to their evil course;*
 they plan how they may hide their snares.
They say, 'Who will see us?
   who will find out our crimes?*
 we have thought out a perfect plot.'
The human mind and heart are a mystery;*
 but God will loose an arrow at them,
   and suddenly they will be wounded.
He will make them trip over their tongues,*
 and all who see them will shake their heads.
Everyone will stand in awe and declare God's deeds;*
 they will recognise his works.
The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
   and put their trust in him,*
 and all who are true of heart will glory.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Jeremiah 20:1-11a]:

Now the priest Pashhur son of Immer, who was chief
officer in the house of the Lord, heard Jeremiah
prophesying these things. Then Pashhur struck the prophet
Jeremiah, and put him in the stocks that were in the
upper Benjamin Gate of the house of the Lord. The next
morning when Pashhur released Jeremiah from the stocks,
Jeremiah said to him, The Lord has named you not Pashhur
but 'Terror-all-around.' For thus says the Lord: I am
making you a terror to yourself and to all your friends;
and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies while
you look on. And I will give all Judah into the hand of
the king of Babylon; he shall carry them captive to
Babylon, and shall kill them with the sword. I will give
all the wealth of this city, all its gains, all its
prized belongings, and all the treasures of the kings of
Judah into the hand of their enemies, who shall plunder
them, and seize them, and carry them to Babylon. And you,
Pashhur, and all who live in your house, shall go into
captivity, and to Babylon you shall go; there you shall
die, and there you shall be buried, you and all your
friends, to whom you have prophesied falsely.

O Lord, you have enticed me,
   and I was enticed;
you have overpowered me,
   and you have prevailed.
I have become a laughing-stock all day long;
   everyone mocks me.
For whenever I speak, I must cry out,
   I must shout, 'Violence and destruction!'
For the word of the Lord has become for me
   a reproach and derision all day long.
If I say, 'I will not mention him,
   or speak any more in his name',
then within me there is something like a burning fire
   shut up in my bones;
I am weary with holding it in,
   and I cannot.
For I hear many whispering:
   'Terror is all around!
Denounce him! Let us denounce him!'
   All my close friends
   are watching for me to stumble.
'Perhaps he can be enticed,
   and we can prevail against him,
   and take our revenge on him.'
But the Lord is with me like a dread warrior;
   therefore my persecutors will stumble,
   and they will not prevail.
They will be greatly shamed,
   for they will not succeed.
Their eternal dishonour
   will never be forgotten.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 14:1-17

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

God of the Covenant,
we are your people through your grace in baptism.

Added one by one to your Church,
you bind us together in repentance and true profession of faith:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Accustomed to preserving our selfish autonomy,
you call us to a life of mutual oversight and shared mission.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Teach us to see each other as sisters and brothers
who share a common birth and a family table:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Show us ways to support one another
that our faith is increased, our hope confirmed
and our love perfected.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Offer through your Church hospitality
to those seeking Christ and hope.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The intercessions is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the
Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998.
Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com