OREMUS: 7 July 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 6 21:59:20 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, July 7 , 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
  do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
  and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
    because of your indignation;*
  there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
  like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
  by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
  I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
  there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
  I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
  and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
  and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
  my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
  those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
    and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
  like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
  and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
  you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, ‘Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
  those who gloat over me when my foot slips.’
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
  and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
  and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
  and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
  because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
  be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
  O Lord of my salvation.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [2 Corinthians 11:16-33]:

I repeat, let no one think that I am a fool; but if you do, then accept me
as a fool, so that I too may boast a little. What I am saying in regard to
this boastful confidence, I am saying not with the Lord's authority, but as
a fool; since many boast according to human standards, I will also boast.
For you gladly put up with fools, being wise yourselves! For you put up
with it when someone makes slaves of you, or preys upon you, or takes
advantage of you, or puts on airs, or gives you a slap in the face. To my
shame, I must say, we were too weak for that!

But whatever anyone dares to boast of I am speaking as a fool I also dare
to boast of that. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I.
Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. Are they ministers of Christ? I
am talking like a madman I am a better one: with far greater labours, far
more imprisonments, with countless floggings, and often near death. Five
times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times
I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was
shipwrecked; for a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent
journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own
people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness,
danger at sea, danger from false brothers and sisters; in toil and
hardship, through many a sleepless night, hungry and thirsty, often without
food, cold and naked. And, besides other things, I am under daily pressure
because of my anxiety for all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak?
Who is made to stumble, and I am not indignant?

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. The God
and Father of the Lord Jesus (blessed be he for ever!) knows that I do not
lie. In Damascus, the governor under King Aretas set a guard on the city of
Damascus in order to seize me, but I was let down in a basket through a
window in the wall, and escaped from his hands.

For another Biblical reading, Jeremiah 19

HYMN
Words: John Bowring, 1825
Tune: Rathbun, Cross of Jesus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i274.html

In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

When the woes of life o'ertake me,
hopes deceive, and fears annoy,
never shall the cross forsake me:
lo, it glows with peace and joy.

When the sun of bliss is beaming
light and love upon my way,
from the cross the radiance streaming
adds new luster to the day.

Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure,
by the cross are sanctified;
peace is there that knows no measure,
joys that through all time abide.

In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Planting God,
how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those
who bring good news.

Around your table we are bound together as your Body
for the life of the world.
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Deliver us from impatience
that will not wait for fruit to ripen:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Save us from forcing others to see what we see
and embrace what we embrace:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Liberate us from anger rooted in self-justification:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Fix our gaze upon you
so that we are not overwhelmed by the want and failure of others:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Sow yourself in our words and deeds
that become food for hungry souls:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

O God,
the protector of all who trust in you,
without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy:
Increase and multiply upon us your mercy;
that, with you as our ruler and guide,
we may so pass through things temporal
that we lose not the things eternal;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from We
Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces, translated
by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer uses a sentence from a prayer in Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.