OREMUS: 7 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jul 6 20:21:37 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, July 7 , 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [2 Corinthians 11:16-33]:

I repeat, let no one think that I am a fool; but if you
do, then accept me as a fool, so that I too may boast a
little. What I am saying in regard to this boastful
confidence, I am saying not with the Lord's authority,
but as a fool; since many boast according to human
standards, I will also boast. For you gladly put up with
fools, being wise yourselves! For you put up with it when
someone makes slaves of you, or preys upon you, or takes
advantage of you, or puts on airs, or gives you a slap in
the face. To my shame, I must say, we were too weak for
that!
But whatever anyone dares to boast of I am speaking as a
fool I also dare to boast of that. Are they Hebrews? So
am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants
of Abraham? So am I. Are they ministers of Christ? I am
talking like a madman I am a better one: with far greater
labours, far more imprisonments, with countless
floggings, and often near death. Five times I have
received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three
times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning.
Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night and a day I
was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from
rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own people,
danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the
wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers and
sisters; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless
night, hungry and thirsty, often without food, cold and
naked. And, besides other things, I am under daily
pressure because of my anxiety for all the churches. Who
is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I
am not indignant?
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my
weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus (blessed
be he for ever!) knows that I do not lie. In Damascus,
the governor under King Aretas set a guard on the city of
Damascus in order to seize me, but I was let down in a
basket through a window in the wall, and escaped from his
hands.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 19

HYMN
Words: John Bowring, 1825
Tune: Rathbun, Cross of Jesus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i274.html

In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

When the woes of life o'ertake me,
hopes deceive, and fears annoy,
never shall the cross forsake me:
lo, it glows with peace and joy.

When the sun of bliss is beaming
light and love upon my way,
from the cross the radiance streaming
adds new luster to the day.

Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure,
by the cross are sanctified;
peace is there that knows no measure,
joys that through all time abide.

In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

Planting God,
how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those
who bring good news.

Around your table we are bound together as your Body
for the life of the world.
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Deliver us from impatience
that will not wait for fruit to ripen:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Save us from forcing others to see what we see
and embrace what we embrace:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Liberate us from anger rooted in self-justification:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Fix our gaze upon you
so that we are not overwhelmed by the want and failure of others:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Sow yourself in our words and deeds
that become food for hungry souls:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

O God,
the protector of all who trust in you,
without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy:
Increase and multiply upon us your mercy;
that, with you as our ruler and guide,
we may so pass through things temporal
that we lose not the things eternal;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;