OREMUS: 5 July 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 5 09:46:57 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in your boundless compassion,
you gave us your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
so that the human race created in your love,
yet fallen through its own pride,
might be restored to your glory
through his suffering and death upon the cross.

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
  O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
  my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
    you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
  and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
  and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
  and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
  and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
  my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
  the roots of the mountains shook;
    they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
    and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
  hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
  with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
  he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
  he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
 From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
  burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
  the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
  he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
    and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
  at your battle cry, O Lord,
    at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
  he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
    and from those who hated me;*
  for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
  but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
  he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
  because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
  and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
  and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
  and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
    according to my righteous dealing,*
  because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
  with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
  but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
  but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
  my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
  with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
    the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
  he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
  who is the rock, except our God?

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

READING [2 Corinthians 10]:

I myself, Paul, appeal to you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ I
who am humble when face to face with you, but bold towards you when I am
away! I ask that when I am present I need not show boldness by daring to
oppose those who think we are acting according to human standards. Indeed,
we live as human beings, but we do not wage war according to human
standards; for the weapons of our warfare are not merely human, but they
have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every
proud obstacle raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every
thought captive to obey Christ. We are ready to punish every disobedience
when your obedience is complete.

Look at what is before your eyes. If you are confident that you belong to
Christ, remind yourself of this, that just as you belong to Christ, so also
do we. Now, even if I boast a little too much of our authority, which the
Lord gave for building you up and not for tearing you down, I will not be
ashamed of it. I do not want to seem as though I am trying to frighten you
with my letters. For they say, 'His letters are weighty and strong, but his
bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.' Let such people
understand that what we say by letter when absent, we will also do when
present.

We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who
commend themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another, and
compare themselves with one another, they do not show good sense. We,
however, will not boast beyond limits, but will keep within the field that
God has assigned to us, to reach out even as far as you. For we were not
overstepping our limits when we reached you; we were the first to come all
the way to you with the good news of Christ. We do not boast beyond limits,
that is, in the labours of others; but our hope is that, as your faith
increases, our sphere of action among you may be greatly enlarged, so that
we may proclaim the good news in lands beyond you, without boasting of work
already done in someone else's sphere of action. 'Let the one who boasts,
boast in the Lord.' For it is not those who commend themselves that are
approved, but those whom the Lord commends.

For another Biblical reading, 2 Samuel 3:6-21

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707
Tune: Rockingham

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w299.html

When I survey the wondrous cross
where the young Prince of Glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the cross of Christ, my God:
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Earth-shaking, sky-rumbling, all-powerful Trinity:
Behold your Church.

We thank you for claiming for yourself
servants from every nation and time
to be a royal priest dedicated to your service.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

We thank you for our common vocation
of giving witness to your coming reign.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Sift us like wheat,
convert the catechumens,
turn homeward the penitents
and welcome those who are strangers.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Clothe your Church with words and deeds that free and heal.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Light our lamps with the oil of your Spirit.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Make us and all your Church vigilant and alert
for your knocking on doors.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Holy God,
reveal to us your fierce acts of justice
that in all our trials
we may rest in your strength. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle and collect are from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from We
Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces, translated
by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke, © 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The closing prayer uses a sentence from a prayer in Opening Prayers:
Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.