OREMUS: 4 July 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 3 20:39:10 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 4, 2006
[Independence Day, USA]

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have created us in dignity and honor
and through Christ your Son
have given us the great gift of freedom.
You implant in us the desire for true liberty,
which is our dignity as your children
and the right of every people.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

READING [Ecclesiasticus 10:1-8,12-18]:

A wise magistrate educates his people,
   and the rule of an intelligent person is well ordered.
As the people's judge is, so are his officials;
   as the ruler of the city is, so are all its inhabitants.
An undisciplined king ruins his people,
   but a city becomes fit to live in through the understanding of its rulers.
The government of the earth is in the hand of the Lord,
   and over it he will raise up the right leader for the time.
Human success is in the hand of the Lord,
   and it is he who confers honour upon the lawgiver.

Do not get angry with your neighbour for every injury,
   and do not resort to acts of insolence.
Arrogance is hateful to the Lord and to mortals,
   and injustice is outrageous to both.
Sovereignty passes from nation to nation
   on account of injustice and insolence and wealth.
The beginning of human pride is to forsake the Lord;
   the heart has withdrawn from its Maker.
For the beginning of pride is sin,
   and the one who clings to it pours out abominations.
Therefore the Lord brings upon them unheard-of calamities,
   and destroys them completely.
The Lord overthrows the thrones of rulers,
   and enthrones the lowly in their place.
The Lord plucks up the roots of the nations,
   and plants the humble in their place.
The Lord lays waste the lands of the nations,
   and destroys them to the foundations of the earth.
He removes some of them and destroys them,
   and erases the memory of them from the earth.
Pride was not created for human beings,
   or violent anger for those born of women.

For another Biblical reading,
James
5:7-10

HYMN
Words: Gilbert Keith Chesterton, 1906
Tune: King's Lynn
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o174.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o174.html

O God of earth and altar,
bow down and hear our cry,
our earthly rulers falter,
our people drift and die;
the walls of gold entomb us,
the swords of scorn divide,
take not thy thunder from us,
but take away our pride.

>From all that terror teaches,
from lies of tongue and pen,
from all the easy speeches
that comfort cruel men,
from sale and profanation
of honor, and the sword,
from sleep and from damnation,
deliver us, good Lord!

Tie in a living tether
the prince and priest and thrall,
bind all our lives together,
smite us and save us all;
in ire and exultation
aflame with faith, and free,
lift up a living nation,
a single sword to thee.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Prayer [US]:
O Lord our Governor,
bless the leaders of our land,
that we may be a people at peace among ourselves
and a blessing to other nations of the earth.
Lord, keep this nation under your care.

To the President and members of the Cabinet,
to Governors of States, Mayors of Cities,
and to all in administrative authority,
grant wisdom and grace in the exercise of their duties.
Give grace to your servants, O Lord.

To Senators and Representatives,
and those who make our laws in States, Cities, and Towns,
give courage, wisdom, and foresight to provide
for the needs of all our people,
and to fulfill our obligations in the community of nations.
Give grace to your servants, O Lord.=

To the Judges and officers of our Courts
give understanding and integrity,
that human rights may be safeguarded and justice served.
Give grace to your servants, O Lord.

And finally, teach our people to rely on your strength
and to accept their responsibilities to their fellow citizens,
that they may elect trustworthy leaders
and make wise decisions for the well-being of our society;
that we may serve you faithfully in our generation
and honor your holy Name.
For yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head above all. Amen.

Lord God Almighty,
you have made all the peoples of the earth for your glory,
to serve you in freedom and in peace:
Give to the people of our country
a zeal for justice and the strength of forbearance,
that we may use our liberty in accordance with your gracious will;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

- Go to the Lord's Prayer.

Prayer [Elsewhere]:
Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ has taught us
that what we do for the least of your children we do also for him:
Give us the will to serve others as he was the servant of all,
who gave up his life and died for us,
but lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Fill our hearts with zeal for your kingdom
and place on our lips the tidings of your peace;

The first intercession and collect are from The Book of Common
Prayer_ (1979), Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.

The second intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE
DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order
of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by
permission.

The second collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.