OREMUS: 1 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 31 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 101

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

Psalm 119:9-24

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Mark 5:1-20]:

They came to the other side of the lake, to the country
of the Gerasenes. And when he had stepped out of the
boat, immediately a man out of the tombs with an unclean
spirit met him. He lived among the tombs; and no one
could restrain him any more, even with a chain; for he
had often been restrained with shackles and chains, but
the chains he wrenched apart, and the shackles he broke
in pieces; and no one had the strength to subdue him.
Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was
always howling and bruising himself with stones. When he
saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and bowed down before
him; and he shouted at the top of his voice, 'What have
you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I
adjure you by God, do not torment me.' For he had said to
him, 'Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!' Then
Jesus asked him, 'What is your name?' He replied, 'My
name is Legion; for we are many.' He begged him earnestly
not to send them out of the country. Now there on the
hillside a great herd of swine was feeding; and the
unclean spirits begged him, 'Send us into the swine; let
us enter them.' So he gave them permission. And the
unclean spirits came out and entered the swine; and the
herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep
bank into the lake, and were drowned in the lake.
The swineherds ran off and told it in the city and in the
country. Then people came to see what it was that had
happened. They came to Jesus and saw the demoniac sitting
there, clothed and in his right mind, the very man who
had had the legion; and they were afraid. Those who had
seen what had happened to the demoniac and to the swine
reported it. Then they began to beg Jesus to leave their
neighbourhood. As he was getting into the boat, the man
who had been possessed by demons begged him that he might
be with him. But Jesus refused, and said to him, 'Go home
to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done
for you, and what mercy he has shown you.' And he went
away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much
Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 29:1-14

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (1926-) (c)
Tune: Abbot's Leigh
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t030.html

Tell his praise in song and story,
bless the Lord with heart and voice
in my God is all my glory,
come before him and rejoice.
Join to praise his name together,
he who hears his people's cry;
tell his praise, come wind or weather,
shining faces lifted high.

To the Lord whose love has found them
cry the poor in their distress;
swift his angels camped around them
prove him sure to save and bless.
God it is who hears our crying
though the spark of faith be dim
taste and see! Beyond denying
blessed are those who trust in him.

Taste and see! In faith draw near him,
trust the Lord with all your powers;
seek and serve him, love and fear him,
life and all its joys are ours -
true delight in holy living,
peace and plenty, length of days;
come, my children, with thanksgiving
bless the Lord in songs of praise.

In our need he walks beside us,
ears alert to every cry;
watchful eyes to guard and guide us,
love that whispers, 'It is I.'
Good shall triumph, wrong be righted,
God has pledged his promised word;
so with ransomed saints united
join to praise our living Lord!

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Arizona, USA, The Rt Revd Kirk Stevan Smith, Bishop.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

O God,
you create order out of our chaos,
you turn over our neatly-ordered plans:
Send your revolutionary Holy Spirit into our lives,
that in all we do we may follow you;
through Jesus Christ, the giver of true freedom. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

Hymn (c) by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa,
contact: Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 6DY England

The intercession and collect are by Stephen Benner.