OREMUS: 31 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 30 21:40:59 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 86

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

READING [Numbers 22:22-38]:

God's anger was kindled because he was going, and the
angel of the Lord took his stand in the road as his
adversary. Now he was riding on the donkey, and his two
servants were with him. The donkey saw the angel of the
Lord standing in the road, with a drawn sword in his
hand; so the donkey turned off the road, and went into
the field; and Balaam struck the donkey, to turn it back
on to the road. Then the angel of the Lord stood in a
narrow path between the vineyards, with a wall on either
side. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it
scraped against the wall, and scraped Balaam's foot
against the wall; so he struck it again. Then the angel
of the Lord went ahead, and stood in a narrow place,
where there was no way to turn either to the right or to
the left. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it
lay down under Balaam; and Balaam's anger was kindled,
and he struck the donkey with his staff. Then the Lord
opened the mouth of the donkey, and it said to Balaam,
'What have I done to you, that you have struck me these
three times?'Balaam said to the donkey, 'Because you have
made a fool of me! I wish I had a sword in my hand! I
would kill you right now!' But the donkey said to Balaam,
'Am I not your donkey, which you have ridden all your
life to this day? Have I been in the habit of treating
you in this way?' And he said, 'No.'
Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the
angel of the Lord standing in the road, with his drawn
sword in his hand; and he bowed down, falling on his
face. The angel of the Lord said to him, 'Why have you
struck your donkey these three times? I have come out as
an adversary, because your way is perverse before me. The
donkey saw me, and turned away from me these three times.
If it had not turned away from me, surely I would by now
have killed you and let it live.' Then Balaam said to the
angel of the Lord, 'I have sinned, for I did not know
that you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now
therefore, if it is displeasing to you, I will return
home.' The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, 'Go with the
men; but speak only what I tell you to speak.' So Balaam
went on with the officials of Balak.
When Balak heard that Balaam had come, he went out to
meet him at Ir-moab, on the boundary formed by the Arnon,
at the farthest point of the boundary. Balak said to
Balaam, 'Did I not send to summon you? Why did you not
come to me? Am I not able to honour you?' Balaam said to
Balak, 'I have come to you now, but do I have power to
say just anything? The word God puts in my mouth, that is
what I must say.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 7:32-40

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Ravenshaw
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l464.html

Lord, thy Word abideth,
and our footsteps guideth;
who its truth believeth
light and joy receiveth.

When our foes are near us,
then thy Word doth cheer us,
Word of consolation,
message of salvation.

When the storms are o'er us,
and dark clouds before us,
then its light directeth,
and our way protecteth.

Who can tell the pleasure,
who recount the treasure,
by thy Word imparted
to the simple-hearted?

Word of mercy, giving
succor to the living;
word of life, supplying
comfort to the dying!

O that we, discerning,
its most holy learning,
Lord, may love and fear thee,
evermore be near thee!

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in every place,
especially the Diocese of Argyll & The Isles, Scotland,
The Rt Revd Martin Shaw, Bishop.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

God of Immense Love,
your love knows nothing of judgment,
reaches beyond reason,
and laughs at moderation.
Your love cannot be enclosed
by the narrowness of human vision.
Flood our lives with your intoxicating love,
that we may join that sacred dance
led by your Son, Jesus Christ, Love Incarnate. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Stephen T. Benner, 2003, and is based on phrases from a
sermon by Peter Chrysologus