OREMUS: 30 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 29 23:25:20 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, January 30, 2006
Charles, King and Martyr, 1649

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Numbers 22:1-21]:

The Israelites set out, and camped in the plains of Moab
across the Jordan from Jericho. Now Balak son of Zippor
saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites. Moab was in
great dread of the people, because they were so numerous;
Moab was overcome with fear of the people of Israel. And
Moab said to the elders of Midian, 'This horde will now
lick up all that is around us, as an ox licks up the
grass of the field.' Now Balak son of Zippor was king of
Moab at that time. He sent messengers to Balaam son of
Beor at Pethor, which is on the Euphrates, in the land of
Amaw, to summon him, saying, 'A people has come out of
Egypt; they have spread over the face of the earth, and
they have settled next to me. Come now, curse this people
for me, since they are stronger than I; perhaps I shall
be able to defeat them and drive them from the land; for
I know that whomsoever you bless is blessed, and
whomsoever you curse is cursed.'
So the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed
with the fees for divination in their hand; and they came
to Balaam, and gave him Balak's message. He said to them,
'Stay here tonight, and I will bring back word to you,
just as the Lord speaks to me'; so the officials of Moab
stayed with Balaam. God came to Balaam and said, 'Who are
these men with you?' Balaam said to God, 'King Balak son
of Zippor of Moab has sent me this message: "A people has
come out of Egypt and has spread over the face of the
earth; now come, curse them for me; perhaps I shall be
able to fight against them and drive them out." ' God
said to Balaam, 'You shall not go with them; you shall
not curse the people, for they are blessed.' So Balaam
rose in the morning, and said to the officials of Balak,
'Go to your own land, for the Lord has refused to let me
go with you.' So the officials of Moab rose and went to
Balak, and said, 'Balaam refuses to come with us.'
Once again Balak sent officials, more numerous and more
distinguished than these. They came to Balaam and said to
him, 'Thus says Balak son of Zippor: "Do not let anything
hinder you from coming to me; for I will surely do you
great honour, and whatever you say to me I will do; come,
curse this people for me." ' But Balaam replied to the
servants of Balak, 'Although Balak were to give me his
house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the
command of the Lord my God, to do less or more. You
remain here, as the others did, so that I may learn what
more the Lord may say to me.' That night God came to
Balaam and said to him, 'If the men have come to summon
you, get up and go with them; but do only what I tell you
to do.' So Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his
donkey, and went with the officials of Moab.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 21:17-26

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1866
Tune: Walsall
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o381.html

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

Thou judgest us; thy purity
doth all our lusts condemn;
the love that draws us nearer thee
is hot with wrath to them.

Our thoughts lie open to thy sight
and naked to thy glance
our secret sins are in the light
of thy pure countenance.

Yet weak and blinded though we be,
thou dost our service own;
we bring our varying gifts to thee,
and thou rejectest none.

To thee our full humanity,
its joys and pains belong;
the wrong of man to man on thee
inflicts a deeper wrong.

Who hates, hates thee; who loves, becomes
therein to thee allied:
all sweet accords of hearts and homes
in thee are multiplied.

Apart from thee all gain is loss,
all labor vainly done;
the solemn shadow of the cross
is better than the sun.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of Argentina,
The Most Revd Gregory James Venables, Bishop.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

O God, the Judge of all,
you anointed Charles Stuart
to be King of England and Scotland
and sustained him in prayer through all his troubles,
even to death at the hands of his enemies.
Grant that all rulers among the nations
may use the power entrusted to their care
to vindicate the cause of those who suffer wrong
and to rescue the needy among the people;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;