OREMUS: 28 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 27 21:02:38 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, January 28, 2006
Thomas Aquinas, Priest, Philosopher, Teacher of the Faith, 1274

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Deuteronomy 13:1-5]:

If prophets or those who divine by dreams appear among
you and promise you omens or portents, and the omens or
the portents declared by them take place, and they say,
'Let us follow other gods' (whom you have not known) 'and
let us serve them', you must not heed the words of those
prophets or those who divine by dreams; for the Lord your
God is testing you, to know whether you indeed love the
Lord your God with all your heart and soul. The Lord your
God you shall follow, him alone you shall fear, his
commandments you shall keep, his voice you shall obey,
him you shall serve, and to him you shall hold fast. But
those prophets or those who divine by dreams shall be put
to death for having spoken treason against the Lord your
God who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed
you from the house of slavery to turn you from the way in
which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you
shall purge the evil from your midst.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 8:28-9:1

HYMN
Words: Thomas Aquinas, thirteenth century;
trans. Edward Caswall, 1848
Tune: Pange lingua, St. Thomas (Wade), Grafton, Alleluia, dulce carmen
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n130.html

Now, my tongue, the mystery telling
of the glorious Body sing,
and the Blood, all price excelling,
which the gentiles' Lord and King,
in a Virgin's womb once dwelling,
shed for this world's ransoming.

Given for us, and condescending,
to be born for us below,
he, with men in converse blending,
dwelt the seed of truth to sow,
till he closed with wondrous ending
his most patient life of woe.

That last night, at supper lying,
'mid the twelve, his chosen band,
Jesus, with the law complying,
keeps the feast its rites demand;
then, more precious food supplying,
gives himself with his own hand.

Word-made-flesh true bread he maketh
by his word his Flesh to be;
wine his Blood; which whoso taketh
must from carnal thoughts be free;
faith alone, though sight forsaketh,
shows true hearts the mystery.

Therefore we, before him bending,
this great Sacrament revere;
types and shadows have their ending,
for the newer rite is here;
faith, our outward sense befriending,
makes our inward vision clear.

Glory let us give, and blessing
to the Father, and the Son,
honor, might and praise addressing,
while eternal ages run;
ever too his love confessing,
who from both with both is one.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Send your holy angels to watch over us,
O loving God,
that on our lips will be found your truth
and in our hearts your love;
for his sake who died for love of our love,
even Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.

O God,
you blessed your servant Thomas Aquinas
with singular gifts of wisdom and insight,
that your people might love with their understanding
what you give them to know by faith.
Grant us the freedom to embrace your Church's teachings
and the obedience to deepen its faith,
that our knowledge may be perfected in worship
and our faith may be fulfilled in love;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

In the thirteenth century, when Thomas Aquinas lived, the works of Aristotle,
largely forgotten in Western Europe, began to be available again, partly from
Eastern European sources and partly from Moslem Arab sources in Africa and
Spain. These works offered a new and exciting way of looking at the world.
Many enthusiastic students of Aristotle adopted him quite frankly as as an
alternative to Christianity. The response of many Christians was to denounce
Aristotle as an enemy of the Christian Faith. A third approach was that of those
who tried to hold both Christian and Aristotelian views side by side with no
attempt to reconcile the two. Aquinas had a fourth approach. While remaining
a Christian, he immersed himself in the ideas of Aristotle, and then undertook
to explain Christian ideas and beliefs in language that would make sense to
disciples of Aristotle. At the time, this seemed like a very dangerous and
radical idea, and Aquinas spent much of his life living on the edge of
ecclesiastical approval. His success can be measured by the prevalence today of
the notion that of course all Christian scholars in the Middle Ages were
followers of Aristotle.
Aristotle is no longer the latest intellectual fashion, but Aquinas's insistence
that the Christian scholar must be prepared to meet other scholars on their own
ground, to become familiar with their viewpoints, to argue from their premises,
has been a permanent and valuable contribution to Christian thought. [James
Kiefer, abridged]