OREMUS: 26 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 25 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, January 26, 2006
Timothy and Titus, Companions of Paul

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
our source of joy,
for through your law and your prophets
you formed a people in mercy and freedom,
in justice and righteousness.
You give us courage and conviction
that we may joyfully turn and follow you
in faithful service led by the light of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 65

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Deuteronomy 3:23-29]:

At that time, too, I entreated the Lord, saying: 'O Lord
God, you have only begun to show your servant your
greatness and your might; what god in heaven or on earth
can perform deeds and mighty acts like yours! Let me
cross over to see the good land beyond the Jordan, that
good hill country and the Lebanon.' But the Lord was
angry with me on your account and would not heed me. The
Lord said to me, 'Enough from you! Never speak to me of
this matter again! Go up to the top of Pisgah and look
around you to the west, to the north, to the south, and
to the east. Look well, for you shall not cross over this
Jordan. But charge Joshua, and encourage and strengthen
him, because it is he who shall cross over at the head of
this people and who shall secure their possession of the
land that you will see.' So we remained in the valley
opposite Beth-peor.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 9:6-18

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879), 1873
Tune: Beverley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t570.html

Thou art coming, O my Savior,
thou art coming, O my King,
in thy beauty all-resplendent,
in thy glory all-transcendent;
well may we rejoice and sing:
Coming! in the opening east
herald brightness slowly swells;
Coming! O my glorious Priest,
hear we not thy golden bells?

Thou art coming, thou art coming;
we shall meet thee on thy way,
we shall see thee, we shall know thee,
we shall bless thee, we shall show thee
all our hearts could ever say:
what an anthem that will be,
ringing out our love to thee,
pouring out our rapture sweet
at thine own all glorious feet.

Thou art coming; at thy table
we are witnesses for this;
while remembering hearts thou meetest
in communion clearest, sweetest,
earnest of our coming bliss,
showing not thy death alone,
and thy love exceeding great;
but thy coming and thy throne,
all for which we long and wait.

Thou art coming, we are waiting
with a hope that cannot fail,
asking not the day or hour,
resting on thy Word of power,
anchored safe within the veil.
Time appointed may be long,
but the vision must be sure;
certainty shall make us strong,
joyful patience can endure.

O the joy to see thee reigning,
thee, my own beloved Lord!
Every tongue thy Name confessing,
worship, honor, glory, blessing
brought to thee with glad accord;
thee, my Master and my Friend,
vindicated and enthroned;
unto earth's remotest end
glorified, adored, and owned!

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

May the richness of your creation, O God,
and the mystery of your sovereign rule,
lead us to that heavenly city
where all peoples will bring their wealth,
forsake their sins and find their true joy
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
by the preaching of your apostle Paul
you called your servants Timothy and Titus
and made them his trusted partners
in the work of spreading and establishing your gospel.
Strengthen us in this present time
to stand fast in all our adversities
and to live in true godliness,
that with confidence and gladness
we may look for the glorious appearing
of our Savior Jesus Christ;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.