OREMUS: 25 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 24 23:00:22 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 25, 2006
The Conversion of Saint Paul

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for the wonders of your grace
displayed in your apostle Paul,
whom you chose to announce the good news to the gentiles.
We give you thanks for his example of his patient service,
by which he instructed us in the way of eternal life,
given to us in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Acts 9:1-22]:

Meanwhile Saul, still breathing threats and murder
against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high
priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at
Damascus, so that if he found any who belonged to the
Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to
Jerusalem. Now as he was going along and approaching
Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around
him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to
him, 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?' He asked,
'Who are you, Lord?' The reply came, 'I am Jesus, whom
you are persecuting. But get up and enter the city, and
you will be told what you are to do.' The men who were
traveling with him stood speechless because they heard
the voice but saw no one. Saul got up from the ground,
and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; so
they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.
For three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor
drank.
Now there was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias. The
Lord said to him in a vision, 'Ananias.' He answered,
'Here I am, Lord.' The Lord said to him, 'Get up and go
to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas
look for a man of Tarsus named Saul. At this moment he is
praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias
come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain
his sight.' But Ananias answered, 'Lord, I have heard
from many about this man, how much evil he has done to
your saints in Jerusalem; and here he has authority from
the chief priests to bind all who invoke your name.' But
the Lord said to him, 'Go, for he is an instrument whom I
have chosen to bring my name before Gentiles and kings
and before the people of Israel; I myself will show him
how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.' So
Ananias went and entered the house. He laid his hands on
Saul and said, 'Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who
appeared to you on your way here, has sent me so that you
may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy
Spirit.' And immediately something like scales fell from
his eyes, and his sight was restored. Then he got up and
was baptized, and after taking some food, he regained his
strength. For several days he was with the disciples in
Damascus, and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in
the synagogues, saying, 'He is the Son of God.' All who
heard him were amazed and said, 'Is not this the man who
made havoc in Jerusalem among those who invoked this
name? And has he not come here for the purpose of
bringing them bound before the chief priests?' Saul
became increasingly more powerful and confounded the Jews
who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the
Messiah.

For another Biblical reading,

Ecclesiasticus 39:1-10

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1871
Tune: King's Lynn, Munich, Ellacombe, Llangloffan, Missionary
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w145.html

We sing the glorious conquest
before Damascus' gate,
when Saul, the Church's spoiler
came breathing threats and hate.
The ravening wolf rushed forward
full early to the prey;
but lo! the Shepherd met him,
and bound him fast today.

O glory most excelling
that smote across his path!
O light that pierced and blinded
the zealot in his wrath!
O voice that spake within him
the calm, reproving word!
O love that sought and held him
the bondman of his Lord!

O Wisdom ordering all things
in order strong and sweet,
what nobler spoil was ever
cast at the Victor's feet?
What wiser master builder
e'er wrought at thine employ
than he, till now so furious
thy building to destroy?

Lord, teach thy Church the lesson,
still in her darkest hour
of weakness and of danger,
to trust thy hidden power;
thy grace by ways mysterious
the wrath of man can bind,
and in thy boldest foeman
thy chosen saint can find.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace:
give us grace to seriously to lay to heart
the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions.
Take away all hatred and prejudice,
and whatever else may hinder us
from godly union and concord;
that, as there is but one Body and one Spirit,
one hope of our calling,
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of us all,
so we may henceforth be
all of one heart and of one soul,
united in one holy bond of peace, of faith and charity
and may with one mind and one mouth glorify you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
by the preaching of your apostle Paul
you have caused the light of your Gospel
to shine throughout the world:
Grant, we pray, that we,
having his wonderful conversion in remembrance,
may show ourselves thankful to you
by following his holy teaching;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Pour your Spirit on us today,
that we who are Christ's body
may bear your good news to all who seek you. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from a
prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.