OREMUS: 19 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 18 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, January 19, 2006

Blessed are you, God of steadfast love,
turning the mundane into profound
to give us delight and wonder in the unexpected.
You transform our hearts by your Spirit,
that we may use our varied gifts
to show forth the light of your love
as one body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

Psalm 119:9-16

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Jeremiah 19:1-15]:

Thus said the Lord: Go and buy a potter's earthenware
jug. Take with you some of the elders of the people and
some of the senior priests, and go out to the valley of
the son of Hinnom at the entry of the Potsherd Gate, and
proclaim there the words that I tell you. You shall say:
Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and
inhabitants of Jerusalem. Thus says the Lord of hosts,
the God of Israel: I am going to bring such disaster upon
this place that the ears of everyone who hears of it will
tingle. Because the people have forsaken me, and have
profaned this place by making offerings in it to other
gods whom neither they nor their ancestors nor the kings
of Judah have known, and because they have filled this
place with the blood of th innocent, and gone on building
the high places of Baal to burn their children in the
fire as burnt-offerings to Baal, which I did not command
or decree, nor did it enter my mind; therefore the days
are surely coming, says the Lord, when this place shall
no more be called Topheth, or the valley of the son of
Hinnom, but the valley of Slaughter. And in this place I
will make void the plans of Judah and Jerusalem, and will
make them fall by the sword before their enemies, and by
the hand of those who seek their life. I will give their
dead bodies for food to the birds of the air an to the
wild animals of the earth. And I will make this city a
horror, a thing to be hissed at; everyone who passes by
it will be horrified and will hiss because of all its
disasters. And I will make them eat the flesh of their
sons and the flesh of their daughters, and all shall eat
the flesh of their neighbours in the siege, and in the
distress with which their enemies and those who seek
their life afflict them.
Then you shall break the jug in the sight of those who go
with you, and shall say to them: Thus says the Lord of
hosts: So will I break this people and this city, as one
breaks a potter's vessel, so that it can never be mended.
In Topheth they shall bury until there is no more room to
bury. Thus will I do to this place, says the Lord, and to
its inhabitants, making this city like Topheth. And the
houses of Jerusalem and the houses of the kings of Judah
shall be defiled like the place of Topheth all the houses
upon whose roofs offerings have been made to the whole
host of heaven, and libations have been poured out to
other gods.
When Jeremiah came from Topheth, where the Lord had sent
him to prophesy, he stood in the court of the Lord's
house and said to all the people: Thus says the Lord of
hosts, the God of Israel: I am now bringing upon this
city and upon all its towns all the disaster that I have
pronounced against it, because they have stiffened their
necks, refusing to hear my words.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 18:11-20

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1822
Tune: Melcombe, Kedron
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n013.html

New every morning is the love
our wakening and uprising prove;
through sleep and darkness safely brought,
restored to life and power and thought.

New mercies, each returning day,
hover around us while we pray;
new perils past, new sins forgiven,
new thoughts of God, new hopes of heaven.

If on our daily course our mind
be set to hallow all we find,
new treasures still, of countless price,
God will provide for sacrifice.

Old friends, old scenes, will lovelier be,
as more of heaven in each we see;
some softening gleam of love and prayer
shall dawn on every cross and care.

The trivial round, the common task,
will furnish all we ought to ask:
room to deny ourselves; a road
to bring us daily nearer God.

Only, O Lord, in thy dear love,
fit us for perfect rest above;
and help us, this and every day,
to live more nearly as we pray.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayer especially for the Diocese of
All Saints, Kenya,  The Most Revd Benjamin M P Nzimbi, Bishop.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have made us fellow citizens with the saints
in the city of eternal light.
In the time of storm, when the foundations shake,
teach us to wait in silence
on your steadfast and transforming love,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Emma
Richards, Villa Park, Illinois as adapted in _Words for Worship_;
used by permission of Herald Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com