OREMUS: 14 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 13 22:00:24 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, January 14, 2006

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Samuel 2:21-25]:

And the Lord took note of Hannah; she conceived and bore
three sons and two daughters. And the boy Samuel grew up
in the presence of the Lord.
Now Eli was very old. He heard all that his sons were
doing to all Israel, and how they lay with the women who
served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. He said to
them, 'Why do you do such things? For I hear of your evil
dealings from all these people. No, my sons; it is not a
good report that I hear the people of the Lord spreading
abroad. If one person sins against another, someone can
intercede for the sinner with the Lord; but if someone
sins against the Lord, who can make intercession?' But
they would not listen to the voice of their father; for
it was the will of the Lord to kill them.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 25:1-13

HYMN
Words: Richard Meux Benson, 1861
Tune: Xavier
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p097.html

Praise to God who reigns above,
binding earth and heaven in love;
all the armies of the sky
worship his dread sovereignty.

Seraphim his praises sing,
Cherubim on fourfold wing,
Thrones, Dominions, Princes, Powers,
marshaled might that never cowers.

Speeds the Archangel from his face,
bearing messages of grace;
angel hosts his words fulfill,
ruling nature by his will.

Yet on man they joy to wait,
all that bright celestial state,
for in Man their Lord they see,
Christ, the incarnate Deity.

On the throne their Lord who died
sits in manhood glorified;
where his people faint below
angels count it joy to go.

O the depths of joy divine
thrilling through those orders nine,
when the lost are found again,
when the banished comes to reign!

Now in faith, in hope, in love,
we will join the choirs above,
praising, with the heavenly host,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Alabama, USA, The Rt Revd Henry Nutt Parsley, Bishop.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Lord God, whom we worship in the beauty of holiness,
receive our prayer;
as we tell out your salvation
and declare your glory to all nations,
that all the earth may see your righteous deeds
and glorify your holy name;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.