OREMUS: 13 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 12 22:29:05 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, January 13, 2006
Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, Teacher of the Faith, 367

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 38

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

READING [Judges 2:16-23]:

Then the Lord raised up judges, who delivered them out of
the power of those who plundered them. Yet they did not
listen even to their judges; for they lusted after other
gods and bowed down to them. They soon turned aside from
the way in which their ancestors had walked, who had
obeyed the commandments of the Lord; they did not follow
their example. Whenever the Lord raised up judges for
them, the Lord was with the judge, and he delivered them
from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge;
for the Lord would be moved to pity by their groaning
because of those who persecuted and oppressed them. But
whenever the judge died, they would relapse and behave
worse than their ancestors, following other gods,
worshipping them and bowing down to them. They would not
drop any of their practices or their stubborn ways. So
the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel; and he
said, 'Because this people have transgressed my covenant
that I commanded their ancestors, and have not obeyed my
voice, I will no longer drive out before them any of the
nations that Joshua left when he died.' In order to test
Israel, whether or not they would take care to walk in
the way of the Lord as their ancestors did, the Lord had
left those nations, not driving them out at once, and had
not handed them over to Joshua.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 13:16-25

HYMN
Words: John White Chadwick, 1864
Tune: Song 1
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e053.html

Eternal Ruler of the ceaseless round
of circling planets singing on their way,
Guide of the nation from the night profound
into the glory of the perfect day;
rule in our hearts, that we may ever be
guided and strengthened and upheld by thee.

We are of thee, the children of thy love,
the brothers of thy well-beloved Son;
descend, O Holy Spirit, like a dove
into our hearts, that we may be as one:
as one with thee, to whom we ever tend;
as one with him, our Brother and our Friend.

We would be one in hatred of all wrong,
one in the love of all things sweet and fair,
one with the joy that breaketh into song,
one with the grief that trembleth into prayer;
one in the power that makes thy children free
to follow truth, and thus to follow thee.

Oh, clothe us with thy heavenly armor, Lord,
thy trusty shield, thy sword of love divine;
our inspiration be thy constant word,
we ask no victories that are not thine;
give or withhold, let pain or pleasure be;
enough to know that we are serving thee.

Let us pray to God for the coming of the Kingdom:

O God, into the pain of the tortured:
breathe stillness.

Into the hunger of those deprived:
breathe fullness.

Into those who have died in you:
breathe life.

Into those who long for you:
breathe your presence.

Into your Church, especially the Diocese of
Akure, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Michael Ipinmoye, Bishop.
shed forth your renewing Spirit.

Your kingdom come, your will be done:
For the kingdom, the power and the glory
are yours, now and for ever. Amen.

O God the Word and Son of God,
exalted is your name in all creation,
yet you have stooped to become one with us:
as you have ordained humanity the steward of your creation,
so minister through us the mystery of your salvation;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Hilary
steadfastly confessed your Son Jesus Christ
   to be both human and divine:
grant us his gentle courtesy
to bring to all the message of redemption
   in the incarnate Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

Hilary of Poitiers (315-367) lived during the great controversy between
Athanasius, who taught that the Son is fully God, equally with the Father, and
Arius, who denied this.
Hilary is sometimes called "the Athanasius of the West." He was bishop of
Poitiers, and when he refused to sign a condemnation of Athanasius, the Arian
emperor Constantius (one of the sons of Constantine) banished him to Phrygia
in 357. His exile lasted three years, during which time he wrote several essays,
including On The Trinity. Finally the Emperor was forced to send him back to
Gaul because he was causing such difficulties for the Arians in the East. In 364,
he journeyed to Milan, where he engaged in public debate with the Arian
bishop Auxentius, and persuaded him of the error of his ways. [James
Kiefer]