OREMUS: 12 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 11 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, January 12, 2006
Aelred, Abbot of Rievaulx, 1167

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
you spoke your word
and revealed your Good News in Jesus, the Christ.
You fill all creation with that Word,
so that by proclaiming your joyful promises to all nations
and singing of your glorious hope to all peoples,
we may become one living body in Christ.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Judges 2:6-15]:

When Joshua dismissed the people, the Israelites all went
to their own inheritances to take possession of the land.
The people worshipped the Lord all the days of Joshua,
and all the days of the elders who outlived Joshua, who
had seen all the great work that the Lord had done for
Israel. Joshua son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died
at the age of one hundred and ten years. So they buried
him within the bounds of his inheritance in
Timnath-heres, in the hill country of Ephraim, north of
Mount Gaash. Moreover, that whole generation was gathered
to their ancestors, and another generation grew up after
them, who did not know the Lord or the work that he had
done for Israel.
Then the Israelites did what was evil in the sight of the
Lord and worshipped the Baals; and they abandoned the
Lord, the God of their ancestors, who had brought them
out of the land of Egypt; they followed other gods, from
among the gods of the peoples who were all around them,
and bowed down to them; and they provoked the Lord to
anger. They abandoned the Lord, and worshipped Baal and
the Astartes. So the anger of the Lord was kindled
against Israel, and he gave them over to plunderers who
plundered them, and he sold them into the power of their
enemies all around, so that they could no longer
withstand their enemies. Whenever they marched out, the
hand of the Lord was against them to bring misfortune, as
the Lord had warned them and sworn to them; and they were
in great distress.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Corinthians 10:1-11

HYMN
Words: Benjamin Russell Hanby, 1866
Tune: Adoration, Resonet in laudibus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w456.html

Who is he in yonder stall
at whose feet the shepherds fall?
Refrain:
'Tis the Lord, O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord, the King of glory;
at his feet, we humbly fall,
crown him, crown him Lord of all!

Who is he, in yonder cot
bending to his toilsome lot? Refrain

Who is he, in deep distress,
fasting in the wilderness? Refrain

Who is he that stands and weeps
at the grave where Lazarus sleeps? Refrain

Lo, at midnight who is he
praying in Gethsemane? Refrain

Who is he in Calvary's throes
asking blessings on his foes? Refrain

Who is he that from the grave
comes to heal and help and save? Refrain

Who is he that from his throne
rules the world of light alone? Refrain

Eternal God, creator and preserver of all life,
author of salvation, and giver of all grace:
look with favor upon the world you have made and redeemed,
and especially upon those who live together in love.

Give them wisdom and devotion in their common life,
that they may be to the other a strength in need,
a counselor in perplexity, a comfort in sorrow,
and a companion in joy.

Grant that their wills may be so knit together in your will,
and their spirits in your Spirit,
that they may grow in love and peace
with you and one another, all the days of their life.

Give them the grace, when they hurt each other,
to recognize and confess their fault,
and to seek each other's forgiveness and yours.

Make their life together a sign of Christ's love
to this sinful and broken world,
that unity may overcome estrangement,
forgiveness heal guilt, and joy conquer despair.

Given them such fulfillment of their mutual love
that they may reach out in concern for others.

Enrich with your grace all of us,
that, loving and supporting one another,
we may serve those in need as a sign of your reign.

Grant that the bonds by which all your children
are united to one another
may be so transformed by your Spirit
that your peace and justice may fill the earth,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Faithful God,
you have established with us
your covenant of love:
remember your promise,
fulfilled in your anointed Son Jesus Christ,
and count us worthy to stand in his strength alone;
who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns,
one God for ever and ever. Amen.

Pour into our hearts, O God,
the Holy Spirit's gift of love,
that we. clasping each the other's hand,
may share the joy of friendship,
human and divine,
and with your servant Aelred
draw many to your community of love;
through Jesus Christ the Righteous,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gather the whole universe into your radiant presence
and continually reveal your Son as our Savior,
that all wounds may be healed,
all that is broken may be made whole,
all illusion will be overcome
by the truth found in the Light of Christ. Amen.

The intercessions and the closing words are adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The second collect is reprinted by permission from _The Proper for the
Lesser Feasts and Fasts_, 3rd Edition, (c) 1980, The Church
Pension Fund.

Aelred was born in 1109 at Durham, and was sent to the Scottish court for an
education that would ensure his future as a noble and courtier. He succeeded,
to the extent of being made Master of the Household of the King of Scotland.
Nevertheless, he found success at the court of an earthly king unsatisfying, and
at the age of 24 he entered the Cistercian monastery at Rievaulx in Yorkshire.
Bernard of Clairvaux encouraged him to write his first work, The Mirror of
Charity, which deals with seeking to follow the example of Christ in all things.
In 1147 he became abbot of Rievaulx, a post which he held until his death of
kidney disease twenty years later at the age of 57.
His most famous work is called Spiritual Friendship. When Jesus was told that
his family was waiting to see him, he replied, "All who do the will of my Father
are my family." From this, some Christians have drawn the conclusion that the
only kind of love permissible to a Christian is Charity -- that is: (a) the
universal benevolence that wills the good of all persons, and (b) the bond that
unites the Christian with Christ and through Christ with all other Christians.
Note that Universal Belevolence is extended equally to all persons (we are to
love Jones because God made him), and that the bond of Christian Unity unites
us equally with all our fellow Christians who are in a state of grace (we are to
love Jones because Christ dwells in him). Neither leaves any room for
particular friendships, for liking Jones more than Smith because Jones shares
our interest in hockey, or because Jones and we like the same sort of jokes, or
come from the same part of the country and have similar childhood memories,
or because Jones is an easy-going type and it is easy to relax and feel
comfortable around him, or because Jones and we have a special bond of
friendship, loyalty, and trust. Particular friendships are OUT!
Some who do not think that every Christian must renounce particular
friendships believe that every monastic must do so. In many religious houses,
where the monks or nuns walk two by two into chapel or the dining hall or
while pacing about during the daily hour of recreation, the superior will make a
point of constantly shifting partners, lest anyone form a liking for one partner
more than another. (This does not apply just to friends. It is sometimes held
that no monk ought to allow himself any preferences in food or drink.) Against
this view, Aelred wrote that it is compatible with the highest degree of
Christian perfection to take special pleasure in the company of particular
friends. He point out that we are told that Jesus loved John, and Mary, and
Martha, and Lazarus, and that this probably means that he found their company
congenial.