OREMUS: 7 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 6 21:38:40 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, January 7, 2005

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [John 8:39-59]:

They answered him, 'Abraham is our father.' Jesus said to them, 'If you were Abraham's children,
you would be doing what Abraham did, but now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told
you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. You are indeed doing what
your father does.' They said to him, 'We are not illegitimate children; we have one father, God
himself.' Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God
and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what
I say? It is because you cannot accept my word. You are from your father the devil, and you
choose to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in
the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature for
he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which of you
convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is from God hears the
words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.'
The Jews answered him, 'Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?'
Jesus answered, 'I do not have a demon; but I honour my Father, and you dishonour me. Yet I do
not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge. Very truly, I tell you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death.' The Jews said to him, 'Now we know that you
have a demon. Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, "Whoever keeps my word will
never taste death." Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died.
Who do you claim to be?' Jesus answered, 'If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father
who glorifies me, he of whom you say, "He is our God", though you do not know him. But I
know him; if I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him
and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and
was glad.' Then the Jews said to him, 'You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen
Abraham?' Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.' So they picked
up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

For another Biblical reading,
Exodus
3:7-15

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Cr ger, Es flog ein kleins Waldvoeglein
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus Christ,
wise visitors from the East worshiped and adored you;
they brought you gifts gold, frankincense and myrrh.

We too have seen your glory,
but we have often turned away.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have gifts,
but we have not fully used them or offered them to you.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acclaimed you as King,
but we have not served you with all our strength.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acknowledged you as God,
but we have not desired holiness.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have welcomed you as Savior,
but we have failed to tell others of your grace.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Accra, Ghana, The Most Revd Justice Ofei Akrofi, Bishop;
and the Diocese of  Adelaide, Australia,
The Most Revd Jeffrey William Driver, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

Lord God of the nations,
we have seen the star of your glory rising in splendor.
The radiance of your incarnate Word
pierces the night that covers the earth
and signals the dawn of justice and peace.
May his brightness illumine our lives
and beckon all nations to walk as one in your light.
We ask this through Jesus Christ your Word made flesh,
in the splendor of eternal light,
God forever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest to us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_,
(c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.
The response is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.