OREMUS: 1 March 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 28 17:00:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 1, 2006
Ash Wednesday

Righteous God,
in humility and repentance
we bring our failures in caring, helping, and loving,
we bring the pain we have caused others,
we bring the injustice in society of which we are a part,
to the transforming power of your grace.
Grant us the courage to accept the healing you offer
and to turn again toward the sunrise of your reign,
that we may walk with you in the promise of the peace
you have willed for all the children of the earth,
and have made known to us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 32

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 38

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
For your arrows have already pierced me,*
 and your hand presses hard upon me.
There is no health in my flesh,
   because of your indignation;*
 there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
For my iniquities overwhelm me;*
 like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester*
 by reason of my foolishness.
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;*
 I go about in mourning all the day long.
My loins are filled with searing pain;*
 there is no health in my body.
I am utterly numb and crushed;*
 I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
O Lord, you know all my desires,*
 and my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me,*
 and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
My friends and companions draw back from my affliction;*
 my neighbours stand afar off.
Those who seek after my life lay snares for me;*
 those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin
   and plot treachery all the day long.
But I am like the deaf who do not hear,*
 like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
I have become like one who does not hear*
 and from whose mouth comes no defence.
For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope;*
 you will answer me, O Lord my God.
For I said, 'Do not let them rejoice at my expense,*
 those who gloat over me when my foot slips.'
Truly, I am on the verge of falling,*
 and my pain is always with me.
I will confess my iniquity*
 and be sorry for my sin.
Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty,*
 and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
Those who repay evil for good slander me,*
 because I follow the course that is right.
O Lord, do not forsake me;*
 be not far from me, O my God.
Make haste to help me,*
 O Lord of my salvation.

READING [1 Timothy 6:6-19]:

Of course, there is great gain in godliness combined with
contentment; for we brought nothing into the world, so
that we can take nothing out of it; but if we have food
and clothing, we will be content with these. But those
who want to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped
by many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people
into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a
root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be
rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced
themselves with many pains.
But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue
righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance,
gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold
of the eternal life, to which you were called and for
which you made the good confession in the presence of
many witnesses. In the presence of God, who gives life to
all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony
before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge
you to keep the commandment without spot or blame until
the manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will
bring about at the right time he who is the blessed and
only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords. It
is he alone who has immortality and dwells in
unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can
see; to him be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.
As for those who in the present age are rich, command
them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the
uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly
provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are
to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready
to share, thus storing up for themselves the treasure of
a good foundation for the future, so that they may take
hold of the life that really is life.

href="http://bible.oremus.org/?version=nrsvae&vnum=no&passage=Daniel+9:3-6,15-19">Daniel
9:3-6,15-19

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Southwell (Damon)
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r046.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r046.html

Restore in us, O God,
the splendor of your love;
renew your image in our hearts,
and all our sins remove.

O Spirit, wake in us
the wonder of your power;
from fruitless fear unfurl our lives
like springtime bud and flower.

Bring us, O Christ, to share
the fullness of your joy;
baptize us in the risen life
that death cannot destroy.

Three-personed God, fulfill
the promise of your grace,
that we, when our searching ends,
may see you face to face.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us bow before God, our Creator and Redeemer,
and confess our sin.

* Silence may be kept for reflection and self-examination.

Almighty God, you alone are good and holy.
Purify our lives and make us brave disciples.
We do not ask you to keep us safe,
but to keep us loyal,
so we may serve Jesus Christ,
who, tempted in every way as we are,
was faithful to you. Amen.

>From lack of reverence for truth and beauty;
from a calculating or sentimental mind;
from going along with mean and ugly things:
O God, deliver us.

>From cowardice that dares not face truth;
laziness content with half-truth;
or arrogance that thinks we know it all:
O God, deliver us.

>From artificial life and worship;
from all that is hollow or insincere:
O God, deliver us.

>From trite ideals and cheap pleasures;
from mistaking hard vulgarity for humor:
O God, deliver us.

>From being dull, pompous, or rude;
from putting down our neighbors:
O God, deliver us.

>From cynicism about others;
from intolerance or cruel indifference:
O God, deliver us.

>From being satisfied with things as they are,
in the church or in the world;
from failing to share you indignation about injustice:
O God, deliver us.

>From selfishness, self-indulgence, or self-pity:
O God, deliver us.

>From token concern for the poor,
for lonely or loveless people;
from confusing faith with good feeling,
or love with wanting to be loved:
O God, deliver us.

For everything in us that may hide your light:
O God, deliver us.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you hate nothing you have made
and forgive the sins of all who are penitent:
Create and make in us new and contrite hearts,
that we, worthily lamenting our sins
and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of you,
the God of all mercy,
perfect remission and forgiveness;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May the God of peace
make us holy in every way
and keep our whole being--
spirit, soul, and body--
free from every fault
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer is from _Common Worship: Daily
Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2002.

The opening prayer is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) 1989 Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The litany of confession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is 1 Thessalonians 5:23, adapted.