OREMUS: 28 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 27 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 139

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

READING [Daniel 8:15-27]:

When I, Daniel, had seen the vision, I tried to
understand it. Then someone appeared standing before me,
having the appearance of a man, and I heard a human voice
by the Ulai, calling, 'Gabriel, help this man understand
the vision.' So he came near where I stood; and when he
came, I became frightened and fell prostrate. But he said
to me, 'Understand, O mortal, that the vision is for the
time of the end.'
As he was speaking to me, I fell into a trance, face to
the ground; then he touched me and set me on my feet. He
said, 'Listen, and I will tell you what will take place
later in the period of wrath; for it refers to the
appointed time of the end. As for the ram that you saw
with the two horns, these are the kings of Media and
Persia. The male goat is the king of Greece, and the
great horn between its eyes is the first king. As for the
horn that was broken, in place of which four others
arose, four kingdoms shall arise from his nation, but not
with his power.
At the end of their rule,
   when the transgressions have reached their full
measure,
a king of bold countenance shall arise,
   skilled in intrigue.
He shall grow strong in power,
   shall cause fearful destruction,
   and shall succeed in what he does.
He shall destroy the powerful
   and the people of the holy ones.
By his cunning
   he shall make deceit prosper under his hand,
   and in his own mind he shall be great.
Without warning he shall destroy many
   and shall even rise up against the Prince of
princes.
But he shall be broken, and not by human hands.
The vision of the evenings and the mornings that has been
told is true. As for you, seal up the vision, for it
refers to many days from now.'

So I, Daniel, was overcome and lay sick for some days;
then I arose and went about the king's business. But I
was dismayed by the vision and did not understand it.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Peter 3:1-7

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Woodlands
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t036.html

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord!
Unnumbered blessings give my spirit voice;
tender to me the promise of his word;
in God my Savior shall my heart rejoice.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his Name!
Make known his might, the deeds his arm has done;
his mercy sure, from age to age to same;
his holy Name--the Lord, the Mighty One.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his might!
Powers and dominions lay their glory by.
Proud hearts and stubborn wills are put to flight,
the hungry fed, the humble lifted high.

Tell out, my soul, the glories of his word!
Firm is his promise, and his mercy sure.
Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord
to children's children and for evermore!

Generous God, we thank you for being with us today, and
for every sign of your truth and love in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     the gift of peace in Christ...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     reconciliation in our relationships...
     each new insight into your love...
     energy and courage to share your love...
     the ministries of the church...

Gracious God, we remember in our own hearts the needs of
others, that we may reach up to claim your love for them,
and reach out to give your love in the name of Christ.
Especially we pray for
     racial harmony and justice...
                   (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those imprisoned...
     strangers we have met today...
     friends who are bereaved...
     Orthodox and Coptic churches...
     the Diocese of Bermuda, The Rt Revd Alexander Ewen Ratteray, Bishop...

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1962, Renewed. 1990 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream,
IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9
Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.