OREMUS: 27 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 26 18:58:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, February 27, 2006
George Herbert, Priest, Poet, 1633

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of Deliverance (Isaiah 12:2-6)

'Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust and will not be afraid;

'For the Lord God is my strength and my song,
and has become my salvation.'

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

On that day you will say,
'Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name;

'Make known his deeds among the nations,
proclaim that his name is exalted.

'Sing God's praises, who has triumphed gloriously;
let this be known in all the world.

'Shout and sing for joy, you that dwell in Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Daniel 7:15-27]:

As for me, Daniel, my spirit was troubled within me, and
the visions of my head terrified me. I approached one of
the attendants to ask him the truth concerning all this.
So he said that he would disclose to me the
interpretation of the matter: 'As for these four great
beasts, four kings shall arise out of the earth. But the
holy ones of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and
possess the kingdom for ever for ever and ever.'

Then I desired to know the truth concerning the fourth
beast, which was different from all the rest, exceedingly
terrifying, with its teeth of iron and claws of bronze,
and which devoured and broke in pieces, and stamped what
was left wit its feet; and concerning the ten horns that
were on its head, and concerning the other horn that came
up, and to make room for which three of them fell out the
horn that had eyes and a mouth that spoke arrogantly, and
that seemed greater than the others. As I looked, this
horn made war with the holy ones and was prevailing over
them, until the Ancient One came; then judgement was
given for the holy ones of the Most High, and the time
arrived when the holy ones gained possession of the
kingdom.

This is what he said: 'As for the fourth beast,
there shall be a fourth kingdom on earth
   that shall be different from all the other
kingdoms;
it shall devour the whole earth,
   and trample it down, and break it to pieces.
As for the ten horns,
out of this kingdom ten kings shall arise,
   and another shall arise after them.
This one shall be different from the former ones,
   and shall put down three kings.
He shall speak words against the Most High,
   shall wear out the holy ones of the Most High,
   and shall attempt to change the sacred seasons and the
law;
and they shall be given into his power
   for a time, two times, and half a time.
Then the court shall sit in judgement,
   and his dominion shall be taken away,
   to be consumed and totally destroyed.
The kingship and dominion
   and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole
heaven
   shall be given to the people of the holy ones of the
Most High;
their kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom,
   and all dominions shall serve and obey them.'

For another Biblical reading,
2 Peter 2

HYMN
Words: George Herbert, 1633
Tune: Sandys, Carlisle
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t021.html

Teach me, my God and King,
in all things thee to see,
and what I do in anything
to do it as for thee.

A man that looks on glass,
on it may stay his eye;
or if he pleaseth, through it pass,
and then the heaven espy.

All may of thee partake;
nothing can be so mean,
which with this tincture, "for thy sake,"
will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause
makes drudgery divine:
who sweeps a room, as for thy laws,
makes that and the action fine.

This is the famous stone
that turneth all to gold;
for that which God doth touch and own
cannot for less be told.

We rejoice in your generous goodness, O God, and
celebrate your lavish gifts to us this day, for you have
shown your love in giving Jesus Christ for the salvation
of the world. Especially we give thanks for
     the labors of those who have served us today...
                             (We thank you, Lord)
     friends with whom we have shared...
     those whom we love and have loved us...
     opportunities for our work to help others...
     all beauty that delights us...

Gracious God, we know you are close to all in need, and
by our prayers for others we come closer to you. We are
bold to claim for others your promises of new life in
Jesus Christ, as we claim them for ourselves. Especially
we pray for
     those in dangerous occupations...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     physicians and nurses...
     those who are ill or confined to nursing homes...
     for those whom we love and for those who love us...
     those who mourn...
     the Roman Catholic Church...
     the Diocese of Benin, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Peter J Imasuen, Bishop...

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

King of glory, King of peace,
who called your servant George Herbert
from the pursuit of worldly honours
to be a priest in the temple of his God and King:
grant us also the grace to offer ourselves
with singleness of heart in humble obedience to your service;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.