OREMUS: 25 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 24 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, February 25, 2006

Blessed are you, Creator God,
in your bright wisdom
you bring forth gifts of new beginnings,
with grace and pardon for the past.
You make our lives a faithful Amen to your purposes,
so that, being sealed with your Holy Spirit,
we may both declare and imitate your forgiveness and healing.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 65

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Genesis 2:5b-25]:

The Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth,
and there was no one to till the ground; but a stream
would rise from the earth, and water the whole face of
the ground  then the Lord God formed man from the dust of
the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of
life; and the man became a living being. And the Lord God
planted a garden in Eden, in the east; and there he put
the man whom he had formed. Out of the ground the Lord
God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight
and good for food, the tree of life also in the midst of
the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and
evil.

A river flows out of Eden to water the garden, and from
there it divides and becomes four branches. The name of
the first is Pishon; it is the one that flows around the
whole land of Havilah, where there is gold; and the gold
of that land is good; bdellium and onyx stone are there.
The name of the second river is Gihon; it is the one that
flows around the whole land of Cush. The name of the
third river is Tigris, which flows east of Assyria. And
the fourth river is the Euphrates.
The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of
Eden to till it and keep it. And the Lord God commanded
the man, 'You may freely eat of every tree of the garden;
but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you
shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you
shall die.'
Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good that the man
should be alone; I will make him a helper as his
partner.' So out of the ground the Lord God formed every
animal of the field and every bird of the air, and
brought them to the man to see what he would call them;
and whatever the man called each living creature, that
was its name. The man gave names to all cattle, and to
the birds of the air, and to every animal of the field;
but for the man there was not found a helper as his
partner. So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon
the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and
closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord
God had taken from the man he made into a woman and
brought her to the man. Then the man said,
'This at last is bone of my bones
   and flesh of my flesh;
this one shall be called Woman,
   for out of Man this one was taken.'
Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and
clings to his wife, and they become one flesh. And the
man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 8:22-35

HYMN
Words: William Kethe (died 1594), 1561
Tune: Old 100th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a142.html

All people that on earth do dwell,
sing to the Lord with cheerful voice:
him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell,
come ye before him and rejoice.

The Lord, ye know, is God indeed;
without our aid he did us make:
we are his folk, he doth us feed,
and for his sheep he doth us take.

O enter then his gates with praise,
approach with joy his courts unto;
praise, laud, and bless his Name always,
for it is seemly so to do.

For why? the Lord our God is good,
his mercy is for ever sure;
his truth at all times firmly stood,
and shall from age to age endure.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom heaven and earth adore,
from men and from the angel host
be praise and glory evermore.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
especially the Diocese of
Bendigo, Australia, The Rt Revd Andrew William Curnow, Bishop.
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

May the richness of your creation, O God,
and the mystery of your sovereign rule,
lead us to that heavenly city
where all peoples will bring their wealth,
forsake their sins and find their true joy
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gracious God,
centre our hearts on what is true,
so that both in word and deed
we may fulfil your purposes for us;

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are from
_Celebrating the Christian Year_, vol. 1. (c) Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.