OREMUS: 22 February 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 21 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Blessed are you, Creator God,
in your bright wisdom
you bring forth gifts of new beginnings,
with grace and pardon for the past.
You make our lives a faithful Amen to your purposes,
so that, being sealed with your Holy Spirit,
we may both declare and imitate your forgiveness and healing.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 18:1-32

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [2 Corinthians 2:5-11]:

But if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to
me, but to some extent not to exaggerate it to all of
you. This punishment by the majority is enough for such a
person; so now instead you should forgive and console
him, so that he may not be overwhelmed by excessive
sorrow. So I urge you to reaffirm your love for him. I
wrote for this reason: to test you and to know whether
you are obedient in everything. Anyone whom you forgive,
I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven
anything, has been for your sake in the presence of
Christ. And we do this so that we may not be outwitted by
Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Kings 18:28-37

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Darwall's 148th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j241.html

Join all the glorious names
of wisdom, love, and power,
that ever mortals knew,
that angels ever bore:
all are too mean to speak his worth,
too mean to set my Savior forth.

But O what gentle terms,
what condescending ways
doth our Redeemer use
to teach his heavenly grace!
Mine eyes with joy and wonder see
what forms of love he bears for me.

Great Prophet of my God,
my tongue would bless thy name;
by thee the joyful news
of our salvation came:
the joyful news of sins forgiven,
of hell subdued and peace with heaven.

Jesus my great High-Priest
offered his blood and died;
my guilty conscience seeks
no sacrifice beside:
his powerful blood did once atone,
and now it pleads before the throne.

My dear almighty Lord,
my Conqueror and my King,
thy scepter and thy sword,
thy reign of grace, I sing;
thine is the power: behold I sit
in willing bonds before thy feet.

Now let my soul arise,
and tread the tempter down;
my Captain leads me forth
to conquest and a crown.
a feeble saint shall win the day,
though death and hell obstruct the way.

Should all the hosts of death,
and powers of hell unknown,
put their most dreadful forms
of rage and mischief on,
I shall be safe, for Christ displays
superior power, and guardian grace.

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
of Bathurst, Australia, The Rt Revd Richard Hurford, Bishop.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Praise to you, God of our salvation;
you come to our help and set us free.
May your strength be our shield
and your word be our lamp,
that we may serve you with pure hearts and find victory
through our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Gracious God,
centre our hearts on what is true,
so that both in word and deed
we may fulfil your purposes for us;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are from
_Celebrating the Christian Year_, vol. 1. (c) Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from  _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com